Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "G. Ken Holman" <gk...@CraneSoftwrights.com> on 2001/04/01 03:18:40 UTC

Re: page-position="last"

Hi folks, I just wanted to clarify something in my own mind (and training
course and book) regarding <fo:repeatable-page-master-alternatives> and
Gary's question:

At 01/03/27 11:51 -0500, Kahn, Gary wrote:
>Here is my page-sequence-master:
>
>     <fo:page-sequence-master master-name="contents">
>      <fo:repeatable-page-master-alternatives >
>
>           <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
>               master-name="first"
>               page-position="first" />
>
>            <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
>               master-name="main"
>               page-position="rest"/>
>
>           <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
>               master-name="last"
>               page-position="last" />
>
>      </fo:repeatable-page-master-alternatives>
>     </fo:page-sequence-master>
>

>The first and main pages come out fine.
>However it never uses the "last" conditional page master ref.

Arved mentioned it wasn't implemented (which is a good enough reason!), but
that wasn't the first thing that popped into my head.

Wouldn't Gary have to re-order it into the following?

           <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
               master-name="first"
               page-position="first" />

           <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
               master-name="last"
               page-position="last" />

            <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
               master-name="main"
               page-position="rest"/>

I ask this because I thought the formatter selected the master to use based
on the first match in the order given by the stylesheet writer from section
6.4.10 of the CR:

NOTE: Because the conditions are tested in order from the beginning of the
sequence of children, the last alternative in the sequence usually has a
condition that is always true and this alternative references the
page-master that is used for all pages that do not receive some specialized
layout.

Wouldn't Gary's specification of "rest" before "last" mean that the "last"
test is never reached because the "rest" test would succeed for any page
that isn't "first"?

Thanks for correcting me if I misunderstand this.

................... Ken

--
G. Ken Holman                      mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.               http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/

!!Five-day XSLT/XPath/XSLFO Training Blitz June 18-22, 2001 in Ottawa!!

Re: page-position="last"

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
On Sunday 01 April 2001 01:18, Ken Holman wrote:
> Wouldn't Gary have to re-order it into the following?
>
>            <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
>                master-name="first"
>                page-position="first" />
>
>            <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
>                master-name="last"
>                page-position="last" />
>
>             <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
>                master-name="main"
>                page-position="rest"/>

[ SNIP ]
> Wouldn't Gary's specification of "rest" before "last" mean that the "last"
> test is never reached because the "rest" test would succeed for any page
> that isn't "first"?

Yes, this is a correct interpretation.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom