Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Florian Lindauer <fl...@secure-net.de> on 2003/09/09 18:40:19 UTC

Web Services and backwards compatibility

    Currently we reflect on in how far changing a web service's
    interface can be done keeping it backwards compatible, i.e.
    do not break running clients.
    This sure is a broad topic, and if anyone can point me
    to articles, discussions etc on this..

    Going a bit more concrete, I think there should not be a
    problem if you add a new operation, for example. But adding
    a new data field in a bean class (part of some response)
    is a problem, at least for a client using Axis-generated
    client-stubs:

     org.xml.sax.SAXException: Invalid element
        in <BeanClass> - <newElement>

    Any chances that this problem will be fixed in future releases?
    (a .NET client using an old proxy-dll did not seem to have
     a problem here, ignoring the new field)
    How do other frameworks react on this?

    What are other typical pitfalls, what should one keep in mind
    when changing the interface of a web service? What can be
    considered "safe", and what should be avoided? But then, you
    probably cannot avoid a lot of things in reality..

Thanks for any help/ideas.
--
Florian Lindauer

Re: Unwrapping AxisFaults