Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2010/08/23 22:49:52 UTC

ANNOUNCE: Stump Hoss @ Lucene Revolution

Hey everybody,

As you (hopefully) have heard by now, Lucid Imagination is sponsoring a
Lucene/Solr conference in Boston about 6 weeks from now.  We've got a lot
of really great speakers lined up to give some really interesting
technical talks, so I offered to do something a little bit different.

I'm going to be in the hot seat for a "Stump The Chump" style session,
where I'll be answering Solr questions live and unrehearsed...

 	http://bit.ly/stump-hoss

The goal is to really make me sweat and work hard to think of creative
solutions to non-trivial problems on the spot -- like when I answer
questions on the solr-user mailing list, except in a crowded room with
hundreds of people staring at me and laughing.

But in order to be a success, we need your questions/problems/challenges!

If you had a tough situation with Solr that you managed to solve with a
creative solution (or haven't solved yet) and are interesting to see what
type of solution I might come up with under pressure, please email a
description of your problem to stump@lucenerevolution.org -- More details
online...

http://lucenerevolution.org/Presentation-Abstracts-Day1#stump-hostetter

Even if you won't be able to make it to Boston, please send in any
challenging problems you would be interested to see me tackle under the
gun.  The session will be recorded, and the video will be posted online
shortly after the conference has ended.  And if you can make it to Boston:
all the more fun to watch live and in person (and maybe answer follow up
questions)

In any case, it should be a very interesting session: folks will either
get to learn a lot, or laugh at me a lot, or both.  (win/win/win)

-Hoss

--
http://lucenerevolution.org/  ...  October 7-8, Boston
http://bit.ly/stump-hoss      ...  Stump The Chump!

Re: ANNOUNCE: Stump Hoss @ Lucene Revolution

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
FYI, Less then a week to go to submit your questions for my "Stump The
Chump" session at Lucene Revolution:  http://bit.ly/stump-hoss

Some updates since my last email:

1) Prizes have been announced: http://bit.ly/stump-hoss-prizes
2) The Judges will be Mark Miller, Grant Ingersoll, and Yonik Seeley

As I mentioned before:

a) Feel free to submit questions even if you aren't comming to the
Conference.  The Session will be recorded, and the video will be posted
online.

b) Even if you've already solved your "tough" Solr problem, go ahead and
submit it anyway to see if I can come up with an
alternate/simpler/faster/weirder solution on the spot.

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, Chris Hostetter wrote:

: Hey everybody,
:

Posted by "Ma, Xiaohui (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C]" <xi...@mail.nlm.nih.gov>.
Hello,

I just started to investigate Solr several weeks ago. Our current project uses Verity search engine which is commercial product and the company is out of business. I am trying to evaluate if Solr can meet our requirements. I have following questions.

1. Currently we use Verity and have more than 20 collections, each collection has a index for public items and a index for private items. So there are virtual collections which point to each collection and a virtual collection which points to all. For example, we have AA and BB collections.

AA virtual collection --> (AA index for public items and AA index for private items).
BB virtual collection --> (BB index for public items and BB index for private items).
All virtual collection --> (AA index for public items and AA index for private items, BB index for public items and BB index for private items).

Would you please tell me what I should do for this if I use Solr?

2. Our project has different kind format files I need index them. For example, xml files, pdf files and text files. Is it possible for Solr to return a search result from all?

3. I got a error when I index pdf files which are version 1.5 or 1.6. Would you please tell me if there is a patch to fix it?

Thanks so much in advance,

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I have a couple of questions I would like to through your way.
:
: Is there a place where one can sign up for this.

Heh .... sure, all the details were in my email...

: >        http://bit.ly/stump-hoss

	...and...

: > type of solution I might come up with under pressure, please email a
: > description of your problem to stump@lucenerevolution.org -- More details
: > online...
: >

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

I have a couple of questions I would like to through your way.

Is there a place where one can sign up for this.

Is sounds very interesting.

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Chris Hostetter
<ho...@fucit.org>wrote:

> Hey everybody,
>
> As you (hopefully) have heard by now, Lucid Imagination is sponsoring a
> Lucene/Solr conference in Boston about 6 weeks from now.  We've got a lot of
> really great speakers lined up to give some really interesting technical
> talks, so I offered to do something a little bit different.
>
> I'm going to be in the hot seat for a "Stump The Chump" style session,
> where I'll be answering Solr questions live and unrehearsed...
>
>        http://bit.ly/stump-hoss
>
> The goal is to really make me sweat and work hard to think of creative
> solutions to non-trivial problems on the spot -- like when I answer
> questions on the solr-user mailing list, except in a crowded room with
> hundreds of people staring at me and laughing.
>
> But in order to be a success, we need your questions/problems/challenges!
>
> If you had a tough situation with Solr that you managed to solve with a
> creative solution (or haven't solved yet) and are interesting to see what
> type of solution I might come up with under pressure, please email a
> description of your problem to stump@lucenerevolution.org -- More details
> online...
>
> http://lucenerevolution.org/Presentation-Abstracts-Day1#stump-hostetter
>
> Even if you won't be able to make it to Boston, please send in any
> challenging problems you would be interested to see me tackle under the gun.
>  The session will be recorded, and the video will be posted online shortly
> after the conference has ended.  And if you can make it to Boston: all the
> more fun to watch live and in person (and maybe answer follow up questions)
>
> In any case, it should be a very interesting session: folks will either get
> to learn a lot, or laugh at me a lot, or both.  (win/win/win)
>

> -Hoss
>
> --
> http://lucenerevolution.org/  ...  October 7-8, Boston
> http://bit.ly/stump-hoss      ...  Stump The Chump!

--
°O°
"Good Enough" is not good enough.
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.
Quality First. Measure Twice. Cut Once.
http://www.israelekpo.com/