Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> on 2018/11/13 11:39:21 UTC

Does OpenOffice still use Serf?

Hi all,

I'm writing here because I believe OpenOffice uses Serf as its HTTP
client; at least I did find version 1.2.1 mentioned in the patch files
in ext_libraries/serf.

I would like to ask for help from the OpenOffice developers to test the
next release of Serf. We — the Apache Serf project — are in the (very
slow) process of finally releasing Serf version 1.4.0, and it would be
helpful if we could get some feedback from testing it.

This version should be source-compatible with 1.2.1, but the build
system has been completely changed since then; the supported build uses
scons but there's also a fairly complete CMake build. Major improvements
include support for HTTP/2, FCGI, CRL, OCSP stapling and OCSP requests,
OpenSSL 1.1.x and and of course a large number of bug fixes. For
details, see: https://s.apache.org/9259

If you're able and willing to help, please respond here, or post to
<de...@serf.apache.org>.

Thanks!

-- Brane

Re: Does OpenOffice still use Serf?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

> On Nov 13, 2018, at 4:40 PM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>

> That's OK, any kind of testing, even with OO trunk, would be welcome.
> The only other Serf consumer I can test is Subversion, adding even one
> more would make out real-life testing increase by 100%. :)

OT: IMO, Serf would have a much wider consumer market if there were at least the most minimal documentation available for it.

Re: Does OpenOffice still use Serf?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 13.11.2018 22:23, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> I think it would be a good idea to upgrade Serf in our builds.
>> What about the others (real developers)? ;-)
>
> Years ago, we had to avoid upgrading Serf in 4.1.x as Serf had started
> to require SCons for the build and we didn't want to introduce yet
> another build system since we already had too many.

I can surely relate to that ...

> I see it still requires SCons,

The 1.3.x branch does, but for 1.4.x and trunk, you can use CMake for
most purposes. The CMake build currently doesn't support GSSAPI and
BROTLI compression, but other than that it is (in my not so humble
opinion) superior to the SCons build.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Don,

I quote Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> from 13.11.18 about the usage of
SCons:

> The 1.3.x branch does, but for 1.4.x and trunk, you can use CMake for
> most purposes. The CMake build currently doesn't support GSSAPI and
> BROTLI compression, but other than that it is (in my not so humble
> opinion) superior to the SCons build.

We came to the conclusion that we could give 1.4.x (or trunk) a try.

Regards,

   Matthias

Re: Does OpenOffice still use Serf?

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Thanks Peter,

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Branko,

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Pedro,

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Matthias Seidel wrote:
> I forgot to mention that I indeed build with trunk. And the build is
> still going on, so anything can happen... ;-)

The current lack of time only allows me to contribute with memories from
the past when I was actually able to do stuff... but if I recall
correctly there are two important test scenarios where we use Serf:

1. Update checks for OpenOffice and extensions.

2. All WebDAV operations. You can find somewhere in Bugzilla a patch
that didn't make it to 4.1.2 due to excessive complexity (build
requirements). The Serf upgrade was meant to supplement WebDAV fixes in
4.1.2.

So you might want to focus testing on these two scenarios (the second
one will probably be tricky).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Does OpenOffice still use Serf?

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Yea platform specific code should be avoided. But in my humble opinion that is not an issue of the build system itself but of suboptimal usage.

Thanks for your view! :)

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
How about trying to open an URL as a test case?

Is serf moving away from SCONs? I ask since we want to move to SCONs. An experience exchange would be great.

All the best
Peter

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Andrea,

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 13.11.2018 21:49, Matthias Seidel wrote:
> Hi Branko, Hi all,
>
> Am 13.11.18 um 12:39 schrieb Branko Čibej:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm writing here because I believe OpenOffice uses Serf as its HTTP
>> client; at least I did find version 1.2.1 mentioned in the patch files
>> in ext_libraries/serf.
> It is even mentioned on your project page. ;-)

Yes, and in our Board reports, one of which I posted today ... and that
made me wonder and eventually write a mail to this list. :)

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Branko, Hi all,

Am 13.11.18 um 12:39 schrieb Branko Čibej:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm writing here because I believe OpenOffice uses Serf as its HTTP
> client; at least I did find version 1.2.1 mentioned in the patch files
> in ext_libraries/serf.

It is even mentioned on your project page. ;-)

> I would like to ask for help from the OpenOffice developers to test the
> next release of Serf. We — the Apache Serf project — are in the (very
> slow) process of finally releasing Serf version 1.4.0, and it would be
> helpful if we could get some feedback from testing it.

I would not call me a developer, but I just started a build of
OpenOffice on Windows with Serf 1.3.9 (instead of 1.2.1).

So far no problems. But I don't know where it is used and what to look
for...