Posted to announce@apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2016/05/21 15:13:10 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Commons git repositories now writable for all ASF committers

Hello,

a while back, the Apache Commons project decided to grant write access to
all ASF committers [1]. While setting this up for our SVN repositories was
easy, we had some problems to grant the necessary karma to all ASF
committers for our git repositories. This problem has now been fixed [2].
All ASF committers should now be able to commit to our git repositories as
well. This includes the repositories of the following components:

- Apache Commons Lang
- Apache Commons Math
- Apache Commons Compress
- Apache Commons SCXML

If you experience any issues, please report them on dev@commons.apache.org.

Have fun,
Benedikt, on behalf of the Apache Commons community

[1] https://s.apache.org/RKWl

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Commons git repositories now writable for all ASF committers

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Ralph,

Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> schrieb am Do., 26. Mai 2016 um
22:33 Uhr:

> I wish we didn’t have to use SVN for site publication. Due to infra’s
> restrictions on home.apache.org <http://home.apache.org/> I had to
> publish the Log4j rc candidate web site at github.io <http://github.io/>
> instead of at people.apache.org <http://people.apache.org/> like I used
> to.  It took me about 30 seconds to deploy. When I go to publish the site
> at Apache it will take me 10-20 minutes.

I'm using FileZilla for deploying RC websites to home.apache.org. Works
like a charm!

Benedikt

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Vfs] to git (was: Apache Commons git repositories now writable for all ASF committers)

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On May 26, 2016 2:31 PM, "Jochen Wiedmann" <jo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 11:28 PM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Who wants to do the first one? That person could doc the experience for
the
> > next person.
>
> Pointing to the next person in the circle (clockwise).

Dang it! No one told me about the circle! I'm standing on a square!

Gary

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On May 25, 2016 9:11 AM, "Stian Soiland-Reyes" <st...@apache.org> wrote:

>  +1 for a general move to git, even if it is done one-by-one by lazy
consensus.

> I guess on moving, INFRA do not need to remove the old mirrored
> repository in GitHub? (It should be mirrored form the same location).
> Otherwise we need to be worried about open pull requests, link to
> forks, etc.
>

> We can start with VFS, then perhaps IO and Collections?

All fine with me.

Gary

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 26 May 2016 at 11:44, Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 25 May 2016 at 20:06, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I haven't done git migrations too often. The last time I can remember, all
>> the issues on github were closed automatically. I don't remember why. INFRA
>> had to reopen the issues manually.
>
> OK, that's another good argument for doing it one by one then - make
> sure we don't lose any open pull requests (issues are disabled at GH
> in favour of our Jira) - plus of course we need to update the
> locations in the <scm> section and the website.
>
> BTW - is there a good way to inject links to GitHub on pages like
> http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-math/source-repository.html ?

These links are all defined in the POM.

But be careful about changing the developer URL as it may be used by
Maven plugins to create tags etc.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> schrieb am Mi., 25. Mai 2016 um
18:11 Uhr:

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ec...@zusammenkunft.net.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2016-05-24, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> Doesn't work for my Github User (jochenw):

> $ git push
> Username for 'https://github.com':
> Password for 'https://jochenw@github.com':
> remote: Permission to apache/commons-fileupload.git denied to jochenw.
> fatal: unable to access
> 'https://github.com/apache/commons-fileupload.git/': The requested URL
> returned error: 403

You don't push to github, your remote is
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/commons-fileupload.git and you
use your ASF credentials. github is a read-only mirror of the git repo
at the ASF.

Stefan

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.