Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by "Neil O. Rouben" <kn...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/11 13:50:24 UTC

Contributing Query Expansion Module

I would like to contribute a module that performs Query Expansion (QE) in
Lucene. Please let me know how I may go about doing that. For more details
about module please see http://lucene-qe.sourceforge.net

 I implemented Rocchio Query Expansion method. Terms for expansion could be
acquired in local document repository or by using www through the use of
Google's Web API.

Query Expansion - Adding search terms to a user's search. Query expansion is
the process of a search engine adding search terms to a user's weighted
search. The intent is to improve precision and/or recall. The additional
terms may be taken from a thesaurus. For example a search for "car" may be
expanded to: car cars auto autos automobile automobiles
[foldoc.org<http://foldoc.org>
].

*Performance*

Experiments were conducted on the data from TREC 2004 Robust Track (
trec.nist.gov <http://trec.nist.gov>).

Note: This data is provided for reference purposes only. Better performance
on the specific data set may not necessary be repeated on the different data
sets, etc...
 Tag Combined Topic Set  MAP P10 %no  Lucene QE 0.2433
0.3936
18.10%
 Lucene gQE 0.2332 0.3984 14%  KB-R-FIS gQE 0.2322 0.4076 14%  Lucene 0.2
0.37 15%  *Tested on data from NIST TREC Robust Retrieval Track 2004 (
trec.nist.gov <http://trec.nist.gov>) *

*MAP *- mean average precision
*P10* - average of precision at 10 documents retrieved
*%no* - percentage of topics with no relevant in the top 10 retrieved

*Lucene *- unmodified version 1.4.3
*Lucene QE *- Lucene with local query expansion
*Lucene gQE *– Lucene system that utilized Rocchio's query expansion along
with Google.
*KB-R-FIS gQE* – My Fuzzy Inference System that utilized Rocchio's query
expansion along with Google.