Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Alexander Skwar <AS...@DigitalProjects.com> on 2002/03/06 17:50:24 UTC

mod_rewrite - Server load?

Hello!

Are there somwhere reports/stats/whatever about how much more (complex)
mod_rewrite rules add to the server load?

If so, could you please be so kind and point me to them?

Thanks,

Alexander Skwar
--
How to quote:	http://learn.to/quote (german) http://quote.6x.to (english)
Homepage:	http://www.iso-top.de      |     Jabber: askwar@charente.de

Re: mod_rewrite - Server load?

Posted by Martin Haase-Thomas <mh...@meome-ag.de>.
Hi,

that depends on how many rules there are and what they're doing.
Everything that launches a subrequest - "RewriteCond (.*) -U"  e.g. - will
certainly slow down the server's performance. The same will happen, when you
try to apply a shortname mapping by writing one rule for each shortname,
instead of
using the "RewriteMap" feature. Omitting the magic [T=text/html] fro
rules that
will only apply to html will have the same impact.

But these are just my own experiences. Some more elaborated words you'll
find at:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_rewrite.html

so long
Martin

--
                   http://www.meome.de
Martin Haase-Thomas         |       Tel.: 030 43730-558