Posted to users@continuum.apache.org by "Harper, Brad" <br...@epsiia.com> on 2008/04/17 19:44:32 UTC

CI Builds Need Only a Fraction of the Sub-Projects in the SCM Repo

Continuum is set to build a maven project aggregating several <module>
sub-projects. In reality, the directory containing this top-level
project contains *many* more sub-projects than it's pom.xml describes.

When continuum build runs, it checks out the entire tree beneath this
main project, including all of the sub-directories associated with the
sub-projects that aren't specified in the pom. The activity checks out
far too much from the SCM repository than is necessary for the CI build
itself [as defined by the pom hierarchy] and adds tens of minutes to the
overall CI build time.

Suggestions on how to better control the behavior of the SCM checkout
performed by the continuum build? Thanks.

Brad

RE: CI Builds Need Only a Fraction of the Sub-Projects in the SCM Repo

Posted by "Harper, Brad" <br...@epsiia.com>.
We check out the top-level aggregate pom, and then check out each of
necessary sub-project's individually. It isn't until very recently that
we've attempted to automate these builds, hence the use of continuum.

I should note that the other projects under the top-level directory [not
being included in the CI build] are a mixed bag of things, but share the
<dependencyManagement> described by their common parent, as well as the
configuration for plugins, e.g. maven-war-plugin.

The projects that we're attempting to include in the CI builds produce
the core jars and war files that other projects in turn use. In the more
complicated cases, these other projects are war overlays and they're
built as-needed in a disjoint fashion from within an IDE.

Brad

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
On 18/04/2008, Harper, Brad <br...@epsiia.com> wrote:
> I'm sure its more complicated than this, but ...

Yes, it is :)

while -N is suitable in cases where the parent just has a pom.xml,
many projects include more files and subdirectories. Really what you
need to do is --exclude each module directory.

However, I have proposed in the past working all the modules from one
checkout. We're investigating those options.

Cheers,
Brett

Posted by "Harper, Brad" <br...@epsiia.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.