Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Martin Young <yo...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/14 21:57:37 UTC

Defective Installation CD

Greetings,
The mailman brought my OpenOffice Installation CD today.

When I inserted the disk into the CD player on my iMac computer, which is
using the new Mavericks version of Mac's OS, I heard a slight growl. Then a
whirr. Following that a crunch. Finally the rotating CD emitted a
harmonious tweet to a 4/4 time beat.

Stranger yet, the software seemed to be loading, and it even opened up on
my desktop. Seeing it there tempted me to get with it, so I clicked the
Templates button and got a signal that the application was opening the
templates for the first time. That, I construed, meant to hold my horses
and wait. Being an obedient sort, I waited, but this time to the horrendous
crunch being played in ragtime.

I finally tired of this procedure and shut down my computer. When I
attempted to open OpenOffice, it didn't. Moreover my Mac told me that Apple
had no program to open it.

That's were it stands and where I sit, broken hearted and sad beyond
measure.

Perhaps you can help. Hence this plea.

I await your response.

All the best,

Martin

Re: Gatekeeper adjustment to allow use of OpenOffice.org

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 2:37 PM, John Meyer
<jo...@pueblocomputing.com>wrote:

> On 11/14/2013 3:31 PM, Dennis Tuchler wrote:
>
>> Please read the attached document about a Mac program called Gatekeeper.
>>  Adjust Gatekeeper as suggested and OO.org will be useable.

> I think the list strips attachments.  Use a link.

See known issues in the 4.0 release notes:

http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/4.0.0.html

or watch Raphael's youtube video! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTZw5o2EC0M

MzK

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
 Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
                          -- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Re: Gatekeeper adjustment to allow use of OpenOffice.org

Posted by John Meyer <jo...@pueblocomputing.com>.

Posted by Dennis Tuchler <dj...@me.com>.

Re: Defective Installation CD

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 6:54 PM, Samuel Ogle <sa...@centurylink.net> wrote:
> I just now found this: http://www.ehow.com/how_5479874_remove-labels-dvds.htm  which supports that approach, although not totally the same. Thanks for your response.

It depends on the kind of label, and the strength of the adhesive
Thicker labels made for color inkjets with glossy finish tend to have
stronger adhesives than slimmer labels made for laser printers.

The day I damaged a CD-R trying to remove a label it was a Neato brand
of the "glossy finish" type for inkjets. The CD-R was also a very low
quality disc, so the dye had little or no protection over the data
layer.

Not all CD-R discs are created equal
http://www.kmgdigitalinc.com/downloads/1906Not_created_equal.pdf

"To protect the coatings, lacquer is applied, and high-quality
manufacturers make it nice and thick or will even apply
a separate protective coating. Poor CDRs have very little protection
on the coatings and will scratch easily, or
worse, delaminate. "

FC

Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Re: Defective Installation CD

Posted by Samuel Ogle <sa...@centurylink.net>.
Hi Fernando  Cassia,
	Maybe it was the luck of a first bet on a horse race! I have a CD that connects me to a database in Bolivia that had a label both thick and poorly attached. I had read much earlier of the removal of the labels so I peeled it off and used olive oil to remove the little remaining stickiness. CD worked fine for the year it was needed. I just now found this: http://www.ehow.com/how_5479874_remove-labels-dvds.htm  which supports that approach, although not totally the same. Thanks for your response.
Sam

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
Actually, it was Martin that was having the problem, not me.  I always
download from the site.  One thing people need to be aware of it that
there are vendors selling the CDs for a nominal charge.  There is
nothing wrong with this and it is a useful service for some.  However
those vendors have nothing to do with this list, though some have tried
to claim we are "paid support".

Posted by Samuel Ogle <sa...@centurylink.net>.
Hi James,

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.