Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by gezhall <gh...@hotmail.com> on 2009/01/22 14:51:08 UTC

Axis - return types

Hello all.

I'm new to Axis, and have spent some time studying the user guide and
implementing the examples, and it all makes some kind of sense so far!

One thing that is confusing me is the return types of service calls. They
seem to be Axis, or WSDL, representatives of common Java types (String, int
etc.). Surely the end client would want to receive either an Object back
(describing an Order detail, for example) or an xml file doing the same
thing. So far all the examples I have seen simply return a type as mentioned
above, rather than an entire object description.

Surely you don't have to format the xml using your own DTD, and return that
as a String? Axis must be more elegant than that. If you could point me in
the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Re: Axis - return types

Posted by Kamal Chandana Mettananda <lk...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

There's a tutorial at the following location. May be that will help you in
developing the end-to-end web service and client from scratch.

http://lkamal.blogspot.com/2008/07/web-service-axis-tutorial-client-server.html

HTH.

Kamal Mettananda
http://lkamal.blogspot.com

Re: Axis - return types

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
this[1] may help if you try to develop a service starting from the wsdl file

thanks,
Amila.
[1] https://wso2.org/library/2873

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 7:33 PM, gezhall <gh...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Many thanks. I understand in more detail now, but it's all very complex to
> me. I think I need a really good step by step guide - a book, or online
> resource. The Axis user guides are good, but too brief for me.
>
> Is there anything up-to-date which you would recommend to teach me the
> basics?
>

> lkamal wrote:
> >
> > Not sure whether u haven't looked at the client side class generation
> > part.
> > Using the WSDL file you can generate classes for client side.
> >
> > Any custom class that you write, can be used as service return types. Do
> > need further clarifications?

Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: Axis - return types