Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Sam Joyce <sj...@redhat.com> on 2009/10/22 12:14:36 UTC

QMF: managing large numbers of nodes

Hi Folks,
I'm new to the list and I'm coming to grips with QMF at the moment and
have a thought that may be of interest. I was talking with some folks
last week about managing large numbers of nodes; cloud/grid where there
are typically thousands of managed elements.
In some cases, e.g. purging a queue, there may be application level
logic as to which queues need to be purged and when. using the existing
QMF tooling this would be fairly time consuming from a sysadmin
perspective.
Don't get me wrong, I like the current interface and its in keeping with
the tooling for most other message based admin systems that I've used.
So, an idea for discussion: what if managed elements could "subscribe"
for certain management events. In a large scale deployment, the sysadmin
wouldn't need to know which nodes to manage explicitly and would instead
"publish" a management event, like "purge backout queues for app X"
I know my use of "publish" and "subscribe" isn't quite correct in qpid
terms, but I hope you get the idea.
thoughts?
regards,
Sam.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: QMF: managing large numbers of nodes

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.
Sam Joyce wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I'm new to the list and I'm coming to grips with QMF at the moment and
> have a thought that may be of interest. I was talking with some folks
> last week about managing large numbers of nodes; cloud/grid where there
> are typically thousands of managed elements.
> In some cases, e.g. purging a queue, there may be application level
> logic as to which queues need to be purged and when. using the existing
> QMF tooling this would be fairly time consuming from a sysadmin
> perspective.
> Don't get me wrong, I like the current interface and its in keeping with
> the tooling for most other message based admin systems that I've used.
> So, an idea for discussion: what if managed elements could "subscribe"
> for certain management events. In a large scale deployment, the sysadmin
> wouldn't need to know which nodes to manage explicitly and would instead
> "publish" a management event, like "purge backout queues for app X"
> I know my use of "publish" and "subscribe" isn't quite correct in qpid
> terms, but I hope you get the idea.
> thoughts?

Conceptually there is no reason you couldn't set up a topic and
broadcast commands to anyone listening, however, there is no builtin way
of knowing who is listening, so it would be difficult to determine when
all the subscribers have completed a command, i.e. it would be hard to
tell when the aggregate operation is complete.

--Rafael

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org