Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com> on 2005/05/23 08:23:47 UTC

CVS is dead, Long live SVN!

Good morning all,

It is with great sadness that I announce the death (or hibernation
anyway) of the Xerces-C CVS repository. We should all take a moment of
silence to honor this repository that has served us all so well for so
many years....

And it is with *great* pleasure that announce the grand opening of the
Xerces-C SVN repository at:

  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xerces/c/

Long live SVN!

</humor>

Thanks to the efforts of the ASF's infrastructure group, the CVS
repository was finally transitioned this past weekend. We have asked
the infrastructure team to make the existing CVS repository read-only
to avoid any accidental commits.

Using SVN
===

For those of you new to SVN, it is a drop-in replacement for CVS. The
default command-line interface has nearly all the commands as CVS
(e.g. checkin, checkout, commit, diff, etc), plus a number of new
commands to access SVN's increased functionality. There are also a
number of GUI's available for SVN on Unix/Windows/Mac. Please google
for a GUI near you.

There are a number of guides to help make the transition from CVS, one
is here at apache:

  http://perl.apache.org/contribute/cvs_howto.html

The official manual for subversion is online at:

  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

(Please thank O'Reilly for funding the manual and making it available
for free online).

Repository Access
===

The repository is public, and everyone has read access just as the CVS
repository was configured.

The SVN repository uses a *standard* svn layout of:

 xerces/c/

        | -  branches/
        |
        | -  tags/
         \
           - trunk/

In short:

1) to check out the trunk of xerces/c:

  svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xerces/c/trunk

2) to check out the code tagged with the Xerces-C_2_4_0 tag:

  svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xerces/c/tags/Xerces-C_2_4_0/

3) to check out the code in the peiyongz/ branch:

  svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xerces/c/branches/peiyongz/

Commit Access
===

I'm not sure if the existing committers have been given commit access
to the SVN archive. Could each of the committers please check out the
code, and make a small modification to the credits.txt file and
attempt to commit the file?

Kudos
===

Thanks to everyone who helped make this possible, and thanks to
everyone who waited so patiently for the archive to go live.

Cheers,
jas.

Re: CVS is dead, Long live SVN!

Posted by Alberto Massari <am...@datadirect.com>.
Hi Jason,
great news! A big thank to you and the infrastructure team to make it happen.

Alberto

Re: CVS is dead, Long live SVN!

Posted by James Berry <jb...@apache.org>.
On May 22, 2005, at 11:23 PM, Jason E. Stewart wrote:

> Good morning all,
>
> It is with great sadness that I announce the death (or hibernation
> anyway) of the Xerces-C CVS repository. We should all take a moment of
> silence to honor this repository that has served us all so well for so
> many years....
>
> And it is with *great* pleasure that announce the grand opening of the
> Xerces-C SVN repository at:
>
>   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xerces/c/
>
> Long live SVN!

Jason,

Wow. Thanks for helping make this happen!

James.

Re: Adding committers to xerces/c SVN?

Posted by Gareth Reakes <ga...@parthenoncomputing.com>.
Hi,

	Sorry infrastructure I can't do it. I cannot commit to xerces and I
cannot check out infrastructure to find out how to add people (as per
the FAQ). The command I use to check out infrastructure is

svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/trunk infrastructure

I check out xerces fine in this way, but infrastructure asks me for a
password. I have used svnpasswd and it has no effect.

Thanks for your help,

Gareth

Gareth Reakes wrote:
> Hey,
>
>     Sorry, I have not been following the thread Jason. I am supposed to
> have the ability to do this. Let me look into it and get back to you in
> an hour. If I can't get it to work it will be back to infrastructure :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gareth
>
> Jason E. Stewart wrote:
>
>> Hi Infrastructure team,
>>
>> One of the xerces/c committers tried using the instructions for
>> accessing SVN using:
>>
>>   http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html
>>
>> But hasn't had any success.
>> Q: Is this something that committers can take care of themselves, or
>>    do we need intervention from infrastructure@ ??
>>
>> Q: Is there a more recent document that describes this other than the
>>    one above?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> jas.
>>
>> James Berry <jb...@apache.org> writes:
>>

>>> I don't think there is any access at all set up for the xerces-c
>>> repository. The file that controls svn access on svn.apache.org
>>> contains no entries for xerces-c:
>>>
>>>     grep xerces /x1/svn/asf-authorization
>>>     xerces-p=jasons
>>>     [/xml/xerces-p]
>>>     @xerces-p = rw

Gareth Reakes, Managing Director      Parthenon Computing
+44-1865-811184                  http://www.parthcomp.com

Re: Adding committers to xerces/c SVN?

Posted by Gareth Reakes <ga...@parthenoncomputing.com>.
Hey,

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
Hi Infrastructure team,

Re: CVS is dead, Long live SVN!

Posted by James Berry <jb...@apache.org>.
Hey Jason,

I don't think there is any access at all set up for the xerces-c
repository. The file that controls svn access on svn.apache.org
contains no entries for xerces-c:

     grep xerces /x1/svn/asf-authorization
     xerces-p=jasons
     [/xml/xerces-p]
     @xerces-p = rw

What are you in contact with about our switchover? Can you look into
this? Or shall I bug infrastructure@?

-jdb

Re: CVS is dead, Long live SVN!

Posted by James Berry <jb...@apache.org>.

Re: CVS is dead, Long live SVN!

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.

Re: CVS is dead, Long live SVN!

Posted by James Berry <ja...@jberry.us>.
On May 22, 2005, at 11:23 PM, Jason E. Stewart wrote:

> I'm not sure if the existing committers have been given commit access
> to the SVN archive. Could each of the committers please check out the
> code, and make a small modification to the credits.txt file and
> attempt to commit the file?

Hi Jason,

After following the directions here (http://www.apache.org/dev/
version-control.html) for running svnpasswd, I tried to do a commit,
which failed with an authentication error. So either I messed up
somehow (trying several times), or I didn't get authorization. Any
ideas?

James

Re: CVS is dead, Long live SVN!

Posted by da...@us.ibm.com.
> > Unfortunately, a diff of the two local directories yields lots of
> > false
> > positives, due to $Log$ tokens not being expanded in SVN:
>
> Hmm. That's an interesting difference.
>
> As an alternate suggestion, and since you apparently do have cvs read
> access, you could do a parallel cvs checkout, then do a non-cvs diff
> to get your diffs between your modified repository and the checked-in-
> read-only cvs repository....?

You can't even do a checkout any longer.  I get the same error message as
when I try to do an update or a diff.  Apparently an anonymous CVS
checkout works, though.

Dave

Re: CVS is dead, Long live SVN!

Posted by James Berry <jb...@apache.org>.
Hi Dave,

On May 23, 2005, at 2:55 PM, david_n_bertoni@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Could we get read access to the old CVS repository?  Trying to get
> diffs
> to apply local changes to the new SVN repository results in this:

It looks like we have "read access" to the cvs directory, but not
write access, which cvs apparently wants to create the lock for a
diff. I would think that if this become too much of a PITA we could
re-enable write access for a while, taking the lessor of two weevils ;)

Re: CVS read access broken for xml-xerces/c

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
Hi infrastructure team,

We are having trouble getting read-only access to the old CVS
repository for doing checkout and diff - is this a problem with using
developer authentication only? Does read-only access work only with
anonymous CVS?

Thanks,
jas.

david_n_bertoni@us.ibm.com writes:

>> It is with great sadness that I announce the death (or hibernation
>> anyway) of the Xerces-C CVS repository. We should all take a moment of
>> silence to honor this repository that has served us all so well for so
>> many years....
>
> Could we get read access to the old CVS repository?  Trying to get diffs
> to apply local changes to the new SVN repository results in this:
>
> cvs diff: failed to create lock directory for
> `/home/cvs/xml-xerces/c/src/xercesc'
> (/home/cvs/xml-xerces/c/src/xercesc/#cvs.lock): Permission denied
> cvs diff: failed to obtain dir lock in repository
> `/home/cvs/xml-xerces/c/src/xercesc'
> cvs [diff aborted]: read lock failed - giving up
>
> Unfortunately, a diff of the two local directories yields lots of false
> positives, due to $Log$ tokens not being expanded in SVN:
>
> $ diff xml-xerces.cvs/c/src/xercesc/com/StdAfx.h
> xml-xerces/c/src/xercesc/com/S
> tdAfx.h
> 18c18
> <  * $Log: StdAfx.h,v $
> ---
>>  * $Log$
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dave

david_n_bertoni@us.ibm.com writes:

>> > Unfortunately, a diff of the two local directories yields lots of
>> > false
>> > positives, due to $Log$ tokens not being expanded in SVN:
>>
>> Hmm. That's an interesting difference.
>>
>> As an alternate suggestion, and since you apparently do have cvs read
>> access, you could do a parallel cvs checkout, then do a non-cvs diff
>> to get your diffs between your modified repository and the checked-in-
>> read-only cvs repository....?
>
> You can't even do a checkout any longer.  I get the same error message as
> when I try to do an update or a diff.  Apparently an anonymous CVS
> checkout works, though.
>
> Dave

Re: CVS is dead, Long live SVN!

Posted by da...@us.ibm.com.
> It is with great sadness that I announce the death (or hibernation
> anyway) of the Xerces-C CVS repository. We should all take a moment of
> silence to honor this repository that has served us all so well for so
> many years....

Could we get read access to the old CVS repository?  Trying to get diffs
to apply local changes to the new SVN repository results in this:

cvs diff: failed to create lock directory for
`/home/cvs/xml-xerces/c/src/xercesc'
(/home/cvs/xml-xerces/c/src/xercesc/#cvs.lock): Permission denied
cvs diff: failed to obtain dir lock in repository
`/home/cvs/xml-xerces/c/src/xercesc'
cvs [diff aborted]: read lock failed - giving up

Unfortunately, a diff of the two local directories yields lots of false
positives, due to $Log$ tokens not being expanded in SVN:

$ diff xml-xerces.cvs/c/src/xercesc/com/StdAfx.h
xml-xerces/c/src/xercesc/com/S
tdAfx.h
18c18
<  * $Log: StdAfx.h,v $