Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Louis Suárez-Potts <lo...@apache.org> on 2012/01/18 17:05:54 UTC

18 Jan 2012: SOPA and PIPA Protest Banner

All,
Proposal:

1. Let's vote on supporting those who have protested the proposed US
bills supposed to combat piracy but actually doing a lot more than
that and none of it good. These two proposals: SOPA and PIPA.
Wikipedia has a fair account:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

2. I would propose we post on the Apache OpenOffice podling site this
language, for remainder of the day, to be taken down at the onset of
19 January 2012 GMT.

** The Apache OpenOffice Podling members support those who have
darkened their Web sites as a unified gesture to protect the freedoms
of the Internet and stop misguided legislation that would threaten
them. **

I would propose further that we have the text white on a black banner
at the top of every podling page.

Please vote as soon as you can, as obviously time is of the essence.

thanks
louis

PS I'm cc'ing the ASF marketing and publicity list. Quite possible
that Apache will say no, if so, that's fine. Better we act as a body
together. But I would also suggest that ASF take the lead here and
issue a statement, if they have not done so already.

Re: 18 Jan 2012: SOPA and PIPA Protest Banner

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
Of course. The travail of being new here: I kept waiting. Silly me:
open source is about doing it yourself, in community, not about
watching others do it for you. That's TV.
louis

Posted by Danese Cooper <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Shane.

Nothing is not political, if someone else has an opinion differing
from yours and the ability to represent it. So I was indeed intrigued
by Wikipedia's dark action yesterday, as it too seems to be a
nonprofit, no?

But I would only work with the Board to promote those things that are
in the interest of Apache, of course. For instance, the protest
yesterday, but one can suppose even more dramatic instances--and they
would have to be dramatic indeed to enjoin the entire collective.

best
Louis

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, but I meant informal mention. I sometimes informally mention things related to this, and also ODF.

(Nonsense words? iPad's spellchecker.)

-- Louis Suárez-Potts

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.
Hi Louis --

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lo...@apache.org>.
Sally,

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
Dennis,
Read over Don's post. He was using an analogy, I believe, to make a
point about SOPA.
Louis

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Dennis: that was a good revelation.

Sopa and Pipa are more than intrusive vehicles and worse than
structures for arbitrary censorship (arbitrary: power wielded by
unaccountable entities in the service of their own interests). The two
bills sediment a regime of legacy power over the creation and
distribution of content (read: data) that the Internet has, I love to
think, gone a great way to disassemble. (Internet as inclusive of SMS
and other non-Web data relays.) The bills are very poorly written but
not, I'm afraid, poorly thought out. At least, my paranoia tells me
that we will see more of the same before long, as legacy power has
extraordinary longevity.

But I hope and do more than hope, I try to act on my beliefs, that the
communities that make up the Web and make it what it is (and Apache is
at the centre in so many ways), will resist such dead and deadening
power the way living things do: unspecified but nevertheless moving,
and sometimes even in obvious community.

-louis

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nancy K <na...@yahoo.com>.
Grrr.broken, try
reason.com/blog/2011/11/08/new-anti-piracy-legislation-would-break

     Nancy      Web Design
Free 24 hour pass to lynda.com.
Video courses on SEO, CMS,
Design and Software Courses