Posted to c-users@xerces.apache.org by Jumbo Chow <ju...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/01 09:28:41 UTC

cannot find the header files

Hello

I'm new to fedora 8 and also the xml parser.  I downloaded the binary
distribution and wanted to install it on my fedora 8 machine.  When i try to
compile the sample snippet provided on the "programming guide" page, it told
me "xercesc/util/PlatformUtils.hpp: No such file or directory".  How can I
set the correct environment variables to make the header files available for
the compiler?  i double checked my environment variables and am sure that
the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH are set correctly, as well as the XERCESCROOT
(although i didn't use the source distribution).

Any ideas?

Thanks

--
Jumbo Chow

Re: cannot find the header files

Posted by Sebastian 'CrashandDie' Lauwers <cr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 9:28 AM, Jumbo Chow <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
>  I'm new to fedora 8 and also the xml parser.  I downloaded the binary
>  distribution and wanted to install it on my fedora 8 machine.  When i try to
>  compile the sample snippet provided on the "programming guide" page, it told
>  me "xercesc/util/PlatformUtils.hpp: No such file or directory".  How can I
>  set the correct environment variables to make the header files available for
>  the compiler?  i double checked my environment variables and am sure that
>  the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH are set correctly, as well as the XERCESCROOT
>  (although i didn't use the source distribution).

I'm not familiar with Fedora nor any other RPM based distribution, but
from what I've googled
(https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/name/xerces-c#Fedora8),
considering there is only one xerces-c package for Fedora (and no
other -devel one), it might just be your compiling options that are
wrong.

This is the relevant compile command I use in order to create xerces-c
enabled apps:

g++ -I/usr/include -lxerces-c ...

-I [that is "minus capital I"] is for the compiler to seek in the
/usr/include directory.
-l [that is "minus l"] is for the linker to link against the xerces-c
shared libraries...

Like I said, I don't know anything about RedHat bases distributions,
so I could be plain wrong, I don't know if the RPMs even install the
header files.

>  Any ideas?

Could you give us your compilation command you're using atm, and a
copy of ls -s /usr/include | grep xercesc

>  Thanks

Hope this helps,

S.

--