Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Piero Campanelli <pi...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/26 11:39:33 UTC

Status of Felix

Hi,

I am evaluating the status of OSGi opensource containers to publish them on
my blog. Regarding Felix, skimming through source code can we say the
following?

Core Framework:
Security Layer: no
Module Layer: OK
Lifecycle Layer: OK
Service Layer: OK

Core Services:
Package Admin: Partial
Conditional Permission: Partial
Permission Admin: Partial
URL Handler: OK
Start Level: OK

tnx

Re: Status of Felix

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Piero Campanelli wrote:
> About execution environment? Acttually Felix is figured out to run on
> Minimum OSGi or J2SE-* ?

Felix should run on Foundation without any difficulty...I won't make any
claims about anything else. We don't try to use any advanced JRE/JVM
features, so it definitely doesn't require J2SE. Any issues are likely
oversights or bugs that would be fixed if brought to our attention.

-> richard

Re: Re: Status of Felix

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hello Piero,

the framework targets OSGi foundation EE. As of security, digitally
signed bundles are done as well as the security checks - neither is
thoroughly tested. Both Permission and Conditional Permission Admin
are missing as of today; however, I'm working on it.

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: Status of Felix

Posted by Piero Campanelli <pi...@gmail.com>.
tnx Richard.

Re: Status of Felix

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Piero Campanelli wrote:
> I am evaluating the status of OSGi opensource containers to publish
> them on
> my blog. Regarding Felix, skimming through source code can we say the
> following?
>
> Core Framework:
> Security Layer: no

This has been implemented, but not yet fully tested so it is unclear if
it is compliant.

> Module Layer: OK

Essentially, this is true. More specifically, it is missing
require-bundle and bundle fragments, which are optional spec features.
In my sandbox I have been prototyping require-bundle, which is working
in a preliminary fashion and now needs to be re-done for the trunk.

> Lifecycle Layer: OK
> Service Layer: OK
>
> Core Services:
> Package Admin: Partial

Complete except for those aspects related to fragments and require-bundle.

> Conditional Permission: Partial

I don't think we have anything here, but I believe Karl Pauls is looking
at it.

> Permission Admin: Partial

Same as above.

> URL Handler: OK
> Start Level: OK

-> richard

Re: Status of Felix

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Mats-Ola Persson wrote:
> Don't forget Knopflerfish :)

I think he was just querying the Felix list to get us to verify his
conclusions...I expect he will do the same for KF...

-> richard

Re: Status of Felix

Posted by Mats-Ola Persson <ma...@gatespacetelematics.com>.
Hi,