Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Marcus Schneider <MS...@panvision.de> on 2002/10/30 09:02:08 UTC

Characterspacing with Arial and FOP

Hi everybody,

I have imported the arial font following the rules given in 'adding new True
Type Fonts'. This worked fine.
The Problem is:
In some generated pdf-files the space between two specific but obviously
randomly chosen characters is smaller than usual, which means that the
letterspacing of these two charcters is almost null in the whole pdf-file.
Using bold or italic style of the arial font or any other imported true type
font these anomalies never happen. Has somebody experienced similar bugs?
Can anyone help me?

Marcus

Re: Characterspacing with Arial and FOP

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Marcus Schneider wrote:

> I have imported the arial font following the rules given in 'adding new
> True Type Fonts'. This worked fine.
> The Problem is:
> In some generated pdf-files the space between two specific but obviously
> randomly chosen characters is smaller than usual, which means that the
> letterspacing of these two charcters is almost null in the whole
> pdf-file. Using bold or italic style of the arial font or any other
> imported true type font these anomalies never happen. Has somebody
> experienced similar bugs?

Which font are you using? Have you tried microsoft's one from their TrueType
core fonts?

--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team

Re: Characterspacing with Arial and FOP

Posted by Guy D'haenens <gu...@xplanation.com>.
Characterspacing with Arial and FOPHi Marcus,
I noticed the same problem using the Arial font. As long as I didn't embed the Arial font it was extreme (I guess it displayed the Arial font but was using the kerning for the default font). After using embed in the userconfig.xml and providing the font of course, problems were scarce but still noticable. I opened the arial.xml the kerning pairs table hoping I could adjust some of those pairs. But as I couldn't tell which was which, I abandonned the idea. So, I told my client: "Sorry folks, must be a bug in FOP and I'm sure it will be solved one day ;-)".
Guy