Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Chris <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2010/09/05 23:50:48 UTC

Is DailyRollingFileAppender stable?

The javadoc for DailyRollingFileAppender says:

"DailyRollingFileAppender has been observed to exhibit synchronization
issues and data loss. The log4j extras companion includes alternatives
which should be considered for new deployments and which are discussed
in the documentation for org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppender."

This javadoc was written in 2002. I can't find the documentation it
mentions.

Has this class been fixed, and if not, what/where are the alternatives?

Re: Is DailyRollingFileAppender stable?

Posted by Simon Park <si...@yahoo.co.uk>.
No such issues have (so far) been observed with the TimeAndSizeRollingAppender,
which directly subclasses the Log4J FileAppender.  This Appender does the same
stuff as the DailyRollingFileAppender, plus a few extra features.  You could
perhaps give that a try.  Available under the Apache 2.0 license at
www.simonsite.org.uk.

________________________________

Posted by "saurabh.agrawal@criticalpath.net" <sa...@criticalpath.net>.
Hi,

Yes, you are right. There are few problems reported in API DOC of log4j (the
lines you pasted.). We had faced the same issue, and we were not sure if
DailyRollingFileAppender will cause any data loss?

Instead of that, we had used "org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppender".
Using this class you can implment TimeBasedRollingPolicy. And it is the safer
way to use this for Time based log rotation intead of size based.

Please let me know, if you need detailed steps to configure later method. I
will be happy to help you in this.

Thanks,

Saurabh M. Agrawal

Persistent Systems Limited, India