Posted to -deprecated@jakarta.apache.org by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com> on 2001/02/23 06:57:17 UTC

Library project reset

Hi all,

Maybe it's time for a reset here?  Instead of worrying
so much about other subprojects, why don't we focus on
creating good stand-alone libraries?  After all, we
can't force anybody to adopt our libraries if they
don't want to.  Even if only some projects adopt our
libraries within their framework, I'd say we've still
made progress and provided more accessible
distributions.  Practically every Java project in
Apache (including Struts, Avalon, and Turbine) is
organized at the framework level, and I think it's
time for more discrete packaging.

I propose that we move forward with a dedicated set of
committers in a fashion similar to Taglibs and not
attempt to please every subproject.  In fact, trying
to meet everyone's needs simultaneously would probably
lead to disaster.  If this is a good idea, our
components will converge with their frameworks in
time.

We've got lots of good ideas, such as more focused
documentation and more minimal and explicit
dependencies.  By getting mired in the minutiae, we're
going to lose sight of the single important goal,
which is to produce quality stand-alone components.

How about we pick one or two components, gather some
likely starting candidates for a baseline, and have a
cook-off?  Really, if we don't work in a small group,
it's going to be group-vs.-group-vs.-group,
my-framework-is-better-than-your-framework, and
nothing will be accomplished.

- Morgan

=====
Morgan Delagrange
Britannica.com

Re: Library project reset

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
> At this point, most people seemed to want to start with the JDBC
> pool. I also suggested we also work on a testing framework, along
> with the support structure.

I am interested in the last 2.

Regarding the testing framework - I don't know what will be the schedule,
tomcat3.3 needs it _now_, so development on the <gtest> will continue
inside tomcat. If we create the library CVS I'll ask tomcat-dev to move
the gtest in a library sub-project ( if the library rules will allow it
) and try to merge it with whatever testing frameworks will be
contributed.

( the <gtest> in 3.3 is just a way to
describe requests and expected responses in xml - using ant as a driver to
execute the script, and a taglib to do it from a web page. There are few
hundred tests using it, but with a small XSL we can change it to whatever
DTD will be used in the shared framework - if similar capabilities will
exist ).

Regarding the build framework - I would like to help, but after
tomcat-3.3Beta.

Costin

Re: Library project reset

Posted by Ted Husted <ne...@husted.com>.

Re: Library project reset

Posted by Federico Barbieri <sc...@betaversion.org>.
Morgan Delagrange wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Maybe it's time for a reset here?  Instead of worrying
> so much about other subprojects, why don't we focus on
> creating good stand-alone libraries?  After all, we
> can't force anybody to adopt our libraries if they
> don't want to.  Even if only some projects adopt our
> libraries within their framework, I'd say we've still
> made progress and provided more accessible
> distributions.  Practically every Java project in
> Apache (including Struts, Avalon, and Turbine) is
> organized at the framework level, and I think it's
> time for more discrete packaging.
>
> I propose that we move forward with a dedicated set of
> committers in a fashion similar to Taglibs and not
> attempt to please every subproject.  In fact, trying
> to meet everyone's needs simultaneously would probably
> lead to disaster.  If this is a good idea, our
> components will converge with their frameworks in
> time.
>
> We've got lots of good ideas, such as more focused
> documentation and more minimal and explicit
> dependencies.  By getting mired in the minutiae, we're
> going to lose sight of the single important goal,
> which is to produce quality stand-alone components.
>
> How about we pick one or two components, gather some
> likely starting candidates for a baseline, and have a
> cook-off?  Really, if we don't work in a small group,
> it's going to be group-vs.-group-vs.-group,
> my-framework-is-better-than-your-framework, and
> nothing will be accomplished.
>
> - Morgan

+1000.

I guess we have to
-pick up 2 or 3 components from the list already discussed,
-populate the CVS
-write some kind of spec (what this is supposed to do, APIs etc) from
what's already there and what can be done to make it more generic (wider
users scope)
-maybe propose these spec to an extended group of people for tuning...

During the process we will tune the "library guidelines" in terms of doc
requirements, testing etc.

as test project sounds like connection pool is a good candidate.

Fede

Re: Library project reset

Posted by Ted Husted <ne...@husted.com>.

Re: Library project reset

Posted by Federico Barbieri <sc...@betaversion.org>.

Re: Library project reset

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
Morgan Delagrange wrote:

> How about we pick one or two components, gather some
> likely starting candidates for a baseline, and have a
> cook-off?  Really, if we don't work in a small group,
> it's going to be group-vs.-group-vs.-group,
> my-framework-is-better-than-your-framework, and
> nothing will be accomplished.

Right.  We can do more shouting later when we have something to shout
about.

Another thing is that Sam Ruby mentioned what he thought might be
appropriate (I can't find the post now - it was a little while ago), and
maybe we should review that too and take a hint :)

geir

Re: Library project reset

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.