Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Tony Thompson <To...@stone-ware.com> on 2008/01/25 16:53:16 UTC

1.5 Schema

Can anyone offer any help on how I can import a schema into 1.5?  I was
hoping that custom schema would be a lot easier in 1.5 but that hasn't
proven to be true so far.  The instructions on the web site don't seem
to match up with the current Directory Studio tool and I am having
issues (I sent an email on the error yesterday).  Can I use the compiled
schema JAR that I was using for 1.0.2 in my 1.5.1 install until I get
the import issues worked out?  If so, how?

Thanks
Tony

may be monitored.

Re: 1.5 Schema

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Yes Micheal you're right our parser is more strict and complies with the RFC
exactly on the order of the description attributes.  We may need to relax it
a bit: order should not matter.

Alex

Re: 1.5 Schema

Posted by Michael Decker <m....@tesis.de>.
	Hi,

> Any schema delivered with OpenLdap will work. I suspect you may have a
> problem with your own schema. Would you mind to copy/past it so that I
> can test it ?

Here I have to disagree... The order of attributes is important :-/

So that can't be imported by Apache Studio:
	--- SNIP ---
attributetype
(
	1.3.6.1.4.1.1.1.1
	NAME 'test'
	DESC 'some test'
	SUBSTR caseIgnoreSubstringsMatch
	EQUALITY caseIgnoreMatch
	ORDERING caseIgnoreOrderingMatch
	SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15
)
	--- SNAP ---

But that works
	--- SNIP ---
attributetype
(
	1.3.6.1.4.1.1.1.1
	NAME 'test'
	DESC 'some test'
	EQUALITY caseIgnoreMatch
	ORDERING caseIgnoreOrderingMatch
	SUBSTR caseIgnoreSubstringsMatch
	SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15
)
	--- SNAP ---

I've only change the ordering of SUBSTR, EQUALITY, SYNTAX to EQUALITY, SYNTAX,
SUBSTR.

My way is: To build a schema file by Apache Studio with all Attributes and to

Re: 1.5 Schema

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Tony Thompson wrote:
> Well, mine works with OpenLDAP.  Here is just one entry out of mine that I CAN'T import:
>
> attributetype ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.7807.10.4.93
> 	NAME 'swareHeight'
> 	SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.27
> 	SINGLE-VALUE
> 	)
>
> If I create a .schema file with just that one entry in it, I can't import it using the studio.
> Tony

I just created a file name test.schema, containing exactly what you have
pasted in your mail, imported it into Studio, and exported it as a LDIF
file (attached), everything went fine.

Can you tell me the exact way you proceeded ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

RE: 1.5 Schema

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

RE: 1.5 Schema

Posted by Tony Thompson <To...@stone-ware.com>.
>> You can't, but we have other ways to do that. Use Studio, you can
import a Schema file (openLdap format), and extract a LDIF file from >>
it. Then you will just have to import this LDIF file into the server.

So, based on my message yesterday, I can't import a schema file that is
in OpenLDAP format.  Do you have an example file that you know works
that I could try?

I am pretty much stuck at this point...I am attempting this because I
think I may have run across a bug in 1.0.2 and I suspect you would
rather have me test with 1.5 before I try to report a bug against 1.0.2.

Thanks
Tony

may be monitored.

Re: 1.5 Schema

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tony,

Tony Thompson wrote:
> Can anyone offer any help on how I can import a schema into 1.5?  I was
> hoping that custom schema would be a lot easier in 1.5
It is ...
> but that hasn't
> proven to be true so far.
Ok, I got the message :)
> The instructions on the web site don't seem
> to match up with the current Directory Studio tool and I am having
> issues (I sent an email on the error yesterday).
Yes, doco sucks a bit when it comes to 1.5. Sorry for that, we are
working on it.
>  Can I use the compiled
> schema JAR that I was using for 1.0.2 in my 1.5.1 install until I get
> the import issues worked out?
Short answer : nope
A little bit longer : we are storing the schema in LDAP in ADS 1.5, when
it was compiled and stored as java classes in 1.0
> If so, how?

You can't, but we have other ways to do that. Use Studio, you can import
a Schema file (openLdap format), and extract a LDIF file from it. Then
you will just have to import this LDIF file into the server.

Sadly, there is not that much doco which explain the full process...

PS : I would add one thing : if doc sucks, it's because we don't have
enough peeps and time to improve it. But this is something which can be
improved easily : we *do* accept contributions !!! And every night,
before I go to sleep, I light a candle in hope we get more ;) So feel
free to give us some feedback when you have successfully loaded your
schema into the server.

Thanks !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny