Posted to droids-dev@incubator.apache.org by no...@apache.org on 2011/05/01 14:00:07 UTC

Incubator PMC/Board report for May 2011 (droids-dev@incubator.apache.org)

Dear Droids Developers,

This email was sent by an automated system on behalf of the Apache Incubator PMC.
It is an initial reminder to give you plenty of time to prepare your quarterly
board report.

The board meeting is scheduled for  Thurs, 19 May 2011, 10 am Pacific. The report
for your podling will form a part of the Incubator PMC report. The Incubator PMC
requires your report to be submitted one week before the board meeting, to allow
sufficient time for review.

Please submit your report with sufficient time to allow the incubator PMC, and
subsequently board members to review and digest. Again, the very latest you
should submit your report is one week prior to the board meeting.

Thanks,

The Apache Incubator PMC

Submitting your Report
----------------------

Your report should contain the following:

 * Your project name
 * A brief description of your project, which assumes no knowledge of the project
   or necessarily of its field
 * A list of the three most important issues to address in the move towards
   graduation.
 * Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware of
 * How has the community developed since the last report
 * How has the project developed since the last report.

This should be appended to the Incubator Wiki page at:

  http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/May2011

Note: This manually populated. You may need to wait a little before this page is
      created from a template.

Mentors
-------
Mentors should review reports for their project(s) and sign them off on the
Incubator wiki page. Signing off reports shows that you are following the
project - projects that are not signed may raise alarms for the Incubator PMC.

Incubator PMC

Re: Graduation after release? (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for May 2011 (droids-dev@incubator.apache.org)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <sc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 23:42 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:

> >> Since then Lucene has discouraged sub-projects, and has moved
> >> subprojects to their own TLP.
> >>
> >> My understanding is that Apache would like to see more TLPs rather
> >> then umbrella projects.
> >>
> >> ryan
> >
> > Yeah, that's been my impression from the board as well.
>
> This is absolutely correct.
>
> However, was Droids proposed as a sub-project or as a potential core
> contribution?

Actually Droids started with two potential sponsors (HT and lucene). It
never had been clear who is leading.

However this project has no strong relations to neither and the
community as well has no strong roots in neither.

IMO the most logical is that Droids becomes TLP.

salu2
codeBusters S.L. - web based systems
<consulting, training and solutions>
http://www.codebusters.es/

Re: Graduation after release? (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for May 2011 (droids-dev@incubator.apache.org)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

>>> The sponsor is Lucene which imjplies grduation to there. Is this no
>>> longer
>>> the case?
>>>

>> Since then Lucene has discouraged sub-projects, and has moved
>> subprojects to their own TLP.
>>
>> My understanding is that Apache would like to see more TLPs rather
>> then umbrella projects.
>>
>> ryan
>
> Yeah, that's been my impression from the board as well.

This is absolutely correct.

However, was Droids proposed as a sub-project or as a potential core
contribution?

Ross

Re: Graduation after release? (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for May 2011 (droids-dev@incubator.apache.org)

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
On 05/12/2011 04:55 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 12/05/2011 22:16, Richard Frovarp wrote:
>
> The licence headers need to be checked (does Droids use RAT?) again this
> needs to be done as part of the release.

We've used RAT in the past. The checker in the parent pom has a bug
making it painful to use. Looking at things again, we do seem to be shy
on a few of the files.

> Verifying your release is the responsibility of your mentors and the
> IPMC. This is one reason why release candidates need to be made
> available for verification before you call a release vote.
>
>> I don't see anything under out tree. Is it the page under the
>> Incubator's tree? If so, we'll have to have Ross commit it for us after
>> we've put together all of the updates and provide a diff.
>
> It doesn't have to be me, see http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html
>
> Ross

Thanks. I've been looking, but wasn't able to come across that
particular page.

Re: Graduation after release? (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for May 2011 (droids-dev@incubator.apache.org)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <sc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 22:55 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 12/05/2011 22:16, Richard Frovarp wrote:
> > On 05/12/2011 03:04 AM, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >> I just added a draft, please feel free to review and add if you see
> >> points I may have forgotten.
> >>
> >> BTW we have only one point open before we can graduate:
> >> * IP clearance
> >>
> >> How does we feel to graduate? I guess we would graduate to our TLP?
>
> The sponsor is Lucene which imjplies grduation to there. Is this no
> longer the case?
>
> Personally I think talk of graduation is premature. There can be no
> doubt that the project has been revived recently. However, I'm not sure
> that I could claim there is a viable community yet.

I see your point however regarding the community I see that there are
various people driving now the project and I see a momentum. I think we
should now try to surf this wave and get Droids out to the world as
official part of the ASF. I do not believe that the incubator state is
helping to get a bigger community and we have only two committer that
had not been prior ASF committer to other projects. That tells me that
the community knows the ASF way.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 12/05/2011 22:16, Richard Frovarp wrote:
> On 05/12/2011 03:04 AM, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>> I just added a draft, please feel free to review and add if you see
>> points I may have forgotten.
>>
>> BTW we have only one point open before we can graduate:
>> * IP clearance
>>
>> How does we feel to graduate? I guess we would graduate to our TLP?

The sponsor is Lucene which imjplies grduation to there. Is this no
longer the case?

Personally I think talk of graduation is premature. There can be no
doubt that the project has been revived recently. However, I'm not sure
that I could claim there is a viable community yet.

> What do we need to do for IP clearance? Anything that didn't originate
> in the Apache SVN needs to go through clearance. However, if this
> originated in Labs, does the base code need anything? Does anyone know
> of any similar projects we could look at to see what their IP clearance
> document looked like?

All code in SVN has been developed in the ASF by people with CLAs on
file, so there should be no problem there.

The libraries need to be verified which will happen in the release
validation.

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
On 05/12/2011 03:04 AM, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> I just added a draft, please feel free to review and add if you see
> points I may have forgotten.
>
> BTW we have only one point open before we can graduate:
> * IP clearance
>
> How does we feel to graduate? I guess we would graduate to our TLP?
>
> salu2

What do we need to do for IP clearance? Anything that didn't originate
in the Apache SVN needs to go through clearance. However, if this
originated in Labs, does the base code need anything? Does anyone know
of any similar projects we could look at to see what their IP clearance
document looked like?

We probably should update our project status page. Where is that stored?
I don't see anything under out tree. Is it the page under the
Incubator's tree? If so, we'll have to have Ross commit it for us after
we've put together all of the updates and provide a diff.

Looking at the clutch status, we're missing a distribution directory, a
KEYS file in the distribution directory, and a release in the
distribution directory. These are all things I will work towards once a
release has been approved.

Re: Graduation after release? (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for May 2011 (droids-dev@incubator.apache.org)

Posted by Chapuis Bertil <bc...@agimem.com>.
Thanks, my insight on incubation is know clearer.

I'm motivated for the hackathon. I can move for a barcamp but an online one
has clearly the advantage to be cheaper and simpler to organise :-).
Everyone else interested?

--
Bertil Chapuis
Agimem Sàrl