Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by bp...@optusnet.com.au on 2015/11/10 07:33:05 UTC

downloading to tablet

I have Office on my computer – and find it excellent for the writing of letters, etc.

I have just bought a 9” x gody tablet and would like to have - ‘Office’ - on it as well – how do I go about it ?

thanks

bruce Power – 212 long st Pialba q 4655.

Re: downloading to tablet

Posted by Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,
There's also that :
http://www.multiracio.hu/index.php?lang=en&style=eurooffice&page=eo_android

Regards
--
gw

Re: downloading to tablet

Posted by Grazia Giovanni <GG...@regione.emilia-romagna.it>.

Il 10/11/2015 08:20, Rory O'Farrell ha scritto:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 16:33:05 +1000
> <bp...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>> I have Office on my computer – and find it excellent for the writing of letters, etc.
>>
>> I have just bought a 9” x gody tablet and would like to have - ‘Office’ - on it as well – how do I go about it ?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> bruce Power – 212 long st Pialba q 4655.
> There is an unofficial port of OpenOffice to Android called AndrOpen Office in the Android repositories.  As far as I have tried it, it works, but we can give no support for it.

In my experience (I can't  remember the version I tried but it was
almost 1 year ago), the Android port of OpenOffice is anything but usable.
It's an interesting technical demonstration of how a desktop application
can be correctly ported to a mobile platform "as is" , but it lacks all
the mobile  interaction users want (and probably need) on devices with a
10" touch screen, virtual keyboard and no mouse.

In my organization we're using OpenOffice on (Windows) desktops and
we're still trying hard to find a mobile app we can suggest our users to
download to edit ODF documents.

IMHO, ultimately, the apps that that seemed to work best when editing
ODF documents are the Google apps (Docs, Sheets and Slides). On iOs they
have the limit (well, it's a limit for me!) that they can only open
documents stored on your Google Drive. At least we didnt' find a way to
open, e.g., an ODF attachment to a mail message.

Giovanni

--
Giovanni Grazia
Regione Emilia-Romagna

Re: downloading to tablet

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Re: downloading to tablet

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.
On 10/11/2015 06:33, bpower4 wrote:

> I have Office on my computer – and find it excellent for the writing of letters, etc.

An external keyboard is mandatory. Touch screens simply aren't
functional for writing more than about ten words at a time.
I'd suggest buying the cheapest keyboard possible, because they all
die/get destroyed within six months.

None of the office suites that run on tablets correctly handle styles.
As such, a plain text editor is more productive, even factoring in the
time required for doing presentation markup, semantic markup, and
structural markup, after perfecting the content.

There are two ODF compatible office suites for Android, that do not
require a continuous connection to the Internet:
* EuroOffice Calc, EuroOffice Word, EuroOffice Presentation (EO);
* Android Open Office (AnOO);

Overall, AnOO is able to open, and edit more complex documents, and
larger documents, than EO.

Slightly more extensions can be installed on EU, than AnOO. However,
assume that your favourite extensions are not installable. The direct
consequence of this, is that grammar checking, and spell-checking is
probably not available for your language.

Neither of these programs are suitable, if one is
viewing/editing/creating confidential documents.

jonathon