Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Celia Mou <cm...@ocean7.com> on 2007/03/19 17:34:00 UTC

Tapestry 5 for production?

Greeting, everyone!

I know Tapestry 5 only has preview releases at the moment.

I'm excited to see the auto-reloading feature, which is the main reason
why I'm considering it for the current project. Without this, though
I've done 2 projects with Tapestry 3, I would still tend to drop it
because it's just unreasonable having to restart the server for a simple
HTML change (in production environment, with Apache as web server).

Has anyone played enough with Tapestry 5 and have an idea about these:

1. How fast can the app be up at server restart?

2. Is it smooth working with Tomcat?

3. Basically, is there any major issue that would prevent one from using
it for production?

My project is due to finish within a month or two, so I actually need to
make a decision rather quickly, say within a few days. If I can't use
Tapestry 5, I might consider JSF.

Any suggestion or ideas will be extremely helpful!  Thanks a lot!

Celia

Re: Tapestry 5 for production?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
If you can live with the limitations (in terms of unimplemented
functionality) then you are likely OK. I'm hoping that the transition
from 5.0.2 to 5.0.3 will be the last one where large amounts of
user-visible code changes (i.e. the change in how templates are
parsed, and the changes to T5 IoC).  I hope that most future changes
will involve adding more options behind the scenes, without
undermining any existing user-visible code.  At the worst, it may be
the renaming or moving of an existing interface here and there.

On 3/19/07, Celia Mou <cm...@ocean7.com> wrote:
> Greeting, everyone!
>
> I know Tapestry 5 only has preview releases at the moment.
>
> I'm excited to see the auto-reloading feature, which is the main reason
> why I'm considering it for the current project. Without this, though
> I've done 2 projects with Tapestry 3, I would still tend to drop it
> because it's just unreasonable having to restart the server for a simple
> HTML change (in production environment, with Apache as web server).
>
> Has anyone played enough with Tapestry 5 and have an idea about these:
>
> 1. How fast can the app be up at server restart?
>
> 2. Is it smooth working with Tomcat?
>
> 3. Basically, is there any major issue that would prevent one from using
> it for production?
>
> My project is due to finish within a month or two, so I actually need to
> make a decision rather quickly, say within a few days. If I can't use
> Tapestry 5, I might consider JSF.
>
> Any suggestion or ideas will be extremely helpful!  Thanks a lot!
>
> Celia

Howard M. Lewis Ship
TWD Consulting, Inc.
Creator and PMC Chair, Apache Tapestry