Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Bozo Juretic <bj...@inet.hr> on 2009/04/23 21:31:55 UTC

Practical question

Dear servicemix users,

how do you redeploy an already deployed service unit to a servicemix (in
mi case 3.3)? I'm developing service units and need to redeploy them
very ofter, and for now, since there is no mvn jbi:projectUndeploy (or
something similar) I know of, in order to see the changes, I have to:
- shutdown standalone servicemix
- delete service assembly in servicemix/data/smx/service-assemblies by hand
- start servicemix
- move to my project main folder and do a mvn clean && mvn install &&
mvn jbi:projectDeploy

I'm sure I'm missing some nice feature or either mvn, eclipse plugin
(BTW link on http://servicemix.apache.org/eclipse-plugin.html is broken)
or something else which can be used conveniently for rapid redeployment
in the development phase.

So, how do you redeploy an deployed piece of code (service unit, shared
library etc.)? How do you hook up servicemix with eclipse (MyEclipse in
my case) so that it behaves well during development?

Thanks and best regards,

Bozo

Re: Practical question

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Bozo,

to redeploy a ServiceUnit, you can:
- if you use Unix system, simply make a touch on your SA zip present in
the hotdeploy directory:
$ touch myService.zip
This change the zip timestamp and redeploy all SUs in the SA
- you can do the same (shutdown/start on a SA) using the Ant task
(ShutDownServiceAssemblyTask)

For the SU itself, I'm working to add new ant tasks (JMX client) to do it :
https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/SM-1813

Regards
JB

Re: Practical question

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
Bozo,

Both during development and production, I usually use hot-deployment.
At development time, this has the benefit that it's very easy to just
do a mvn clean install followed by a move to the hotdeploy directory.
I just use Eclipse and Maven, so I'm afraid I don't have any
experience with any more specific tooling that's available.

For a production machine, hotdeployment offers you a very easy way to
see what's deployed.  If you ever run into serious problems, you can
delete the data directory and everything will be redeployed from the
hotdeploy directory.

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
Open Source SOA: http://fusesource.com

Re: Practical question

Posted by Jakob Günther <ja...@yahoo.de>.
Hi,

if you use mvn:projectDeploy my best solution would be to use the
ant-tasks. You can find the script in $servicemix_home/ant

there is also a readme with examples on how to use it. To undeploy use:
ant -f servicemix-ant-task.xml -Dsm.service.assembly.name=your-sa-name
-Dsm.username=smx -Dsm.password=smx shut-down-service-assembly
undeploy-service-assembly

Jakob

Re: Practical question

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
As far as I remember, there is a jira tasks to add new maven plugin goal
(such as projectUndeploy).

Regards
JB

Re: Practical question