Posted to user@oozie.apache.org by Ben Roling <be...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/20 20:51:34 UTC

Automatic Retry of Java Actions

I was reading about the automatic retry logic based on
"oozie.service.LiteWorkflowStoreService.user.retry.error.code" and I was
wondering how it relates to Java actions.  It's not perfectly clear to me
how the result of the invocation of my main() method translates into an
error code.

For example, after looking at code in JavaActionExecutor, I might have
thought that if my main() method threw an IOException, it would be treated
as a transient error and result in the retry logic being invoked, but that
doesn't seem to be the case.

I tried reading through the code to figure it out but I am getting a little
lost.  Perhaps someone can give me a quick pointer that will help me figure
it out?

For reference, I am currently working in a CDH4.4 environment (Oozie
3.3.2).  I'm not sure if anything around this might have changed in Oozie
4.x.

Thanks!
Ben