Posted to users@royale.apache.org by gkk gb <mo...@comcast.net> on 2019/07/19 15:14:27 UTC

options for deriving HTML webpages from Flex app?

I have a Flex app 4.12 that does a lot of data crunching. If I want to create an Apache Royale app that is far simpler than the Flex app but relies on the Flex app's code for data crunching, what's options do I have to do this?

The Royale app (HTML output) would accept some inputs from the user then crunch some data and return the results in a table, for example. Is it possible to have a single code-base that contains both Flex and Royale apps, where the first exports to Air and the second to HTML? Or, should I copy the Flex codebase and hack it to create the Royale app (if so, can the two projects share the same libraries)? etc.

Re: options for deriving HTML webpages from Flex app?

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
That's cool! I just twitted about it! thanks for sharing here Judah :)

https://twitter.com/ApacheRoyale/status/1153003406992297985

Carlos

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: options for deriving HTML webpages from Flex app?

Posted by QA <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
We elected to not make Royale 100% source compatible with Flex, so it isn’t truly possible to have one code base be compiled by both the Flex SDK and Royale SDK.  The main reason is that there are Flash APIs that are not available in Royale at this time.

It should be possible to have one code base that uses Royale to compile to AIR and to the browser.  TourDeFlex was working.  I haven’t checked the SWF version in a while, and we have not invested energy in making the UI appear as “same as possible” between SWF and Browser, but volunteers are welcome to invest in that.

If you have good separation of UI from “business logic”, then any shared code should be managed in a library.  If you used Royale to build a library of shared data crunching code, it should be usable in both Flex and Royale.  I don’t think anyone has tried it, but it would be interesting to see what it would take to make it work if it doesn’t.

HTH,
-Alex

From: gkk gb <mo...@comcast.net>
Date: Friday, July 19, 2019 at 5:24 PM
To: "users@royale.apache.org" <us...@royale.apache.org>, Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>
Subject: Re: options for deriving HTML webpages from Flex app?

Thanks for that. Yes, all data crunching is in AS3 and minimal Flash API code. I'm mainly worried about MXML and how it connects to the rest of the app. What do you recommend for modifying the code base...

> Is it possible to have a single code-base that contains both Flex and Royale apps, where the first exports to Air and the second to HTML? Or, should I copy the Flex codebase and hack it to create the Royale app (if so, can the two projects share the same libraries)? etc.

On July 19, 2019 at 2:00 PM Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
Hi,

there's no one path for any of us migrating. So for example, Alex (Harui) did a great work with emulation components (MXRoyale library) in Royale to make Flex migration as easy as possible. I think the example is in Tour De Flex, he migrated that app with minimum changes. Maybe is not 100% same code as Flex but very close. So you could try that alternative.

In the other hand we have Jewel UI set that are a modern set of components with most of the ones you know from MX/Spark but some new ones for designed to use in mobile devices. We migrate a huge app where all logic was mostly the same but we need to migrate the UI and tweak a little bit to conform with Jewel UI Set. So around 70-80% of code and structure from Flex was valid.

About data crunching, since there's no more info about it I assume AS3 code. All AS3 code can run as is in most cases always not depend in flash player APIs (I-e: PureMVC works the same since is pure AS3 with no Flash Player dependencies). If you use flash apis, then you need to try to change APIs for royale ones (most of the times it will be possible).

HTH

Carlos

http://about.me/carlosrovira<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fabout.me%2Fcarlosrovira&data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C372bfd295cac4627f43708d70ca8a65f%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C636991790797556628&sdata=wXAzrHTf%2B7eHA44q5AC2Likj2hUf1dBuRy949sSIIVY%3D&reserved=0>

Re: options for deriving HTML webpages from Flex app?

Posted by gkk gb <mo...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi,