Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by benoit thierry <be...@hotmail.com> on 2006/03/22 14:48:00 UTC

Widows and orphans in fop 0.91beta and trunk versions

Hi,
I am testing both "widows" and "orphans" properties using version 0.91beta
of fop and I can't make working the given example (widowsorphans.fo in
folder 'examples\fo\tables').

Indeed, the resulting pdf file make me think that those properties are not
working. The fact to change those properties values change nothing to the
pdf file.

Can anyone tell me how to use them or give me examples or explanations ?

Any help will be appreciate!!

Ben

Re: Widows and orphans in fop 0.91beta and trunk versions

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Unless I totally misunderstood the specification text about widows and
orphans, the file "widowsorphans.fo" is totally useless and misleading.
The two properties only affect one fo:block at a time, not an entire
table or table-rows.

That said, widows and orphans work fine in 0.91beta. I just realized
that we don't have any test in our test suite that explicitely tests
widows and orphans. But we have to disable the widows and orphans in
certain tests (see [1] for an example) because their effect can lead to
unwelcome side-effects in some of our tests. The reason for that is that
by default both properties are set to "2".

Attached you'll find a demo file that demonstrates the two properties.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/test/layoutengine/standard-testcases/block_keep-together.xml

On 22.03.2006 14:48:00 benoit thierry wrote:
> Hi,
> I am testing both "widows" and "orphans" properties using version 0.91beta
> of fop and I can't make working the given example (widowsorphans.fo in
> folder 'examples\fo\tables').
>
> Indeed, the resulting pdf file make me think that those properties are not
> working. The fact to change those properties values change nothing to the
> pdf file.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to use them or give me examples or explanations ?
>
> Any help will be appreciate!!

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Widows and orphans in fop 0.91beta and trunk versions

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
benoit thierry wrote:

> Hi,
> I am testing both "widows" and "orphans" properties using version
> 0.91beta of fop and I can't make working the given example
> (widowsorphans.fo in folder 'examples\fo\tables').
>
> Indeed, the resulting pdf file make me think that those properties are
> not working. The fact to change those properties values change nothing
> to the pdf file.

Your guess is correct. The widows and orphans properties have not yet
been implemented in FOP trunk. I find that the keep-* properties are
usually good enough for most documents.

<snip/>

Chris