Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Eric Wittle <er...@wittle.net> on 2007/08/17 16:11:54 UTC

Moving posts from one blog to another

I recently upgraded a roller install at work from roller 1.0 to 3.1.
Now that group blogs/multiple blogs per user are supported, I'm
curious about how difficult it would be to reorganize some of my
older posts by moving them from one blog to another.

How complex is the relationship here? Can I change the value of one
field in a table, or is the relationship more complex than that?

I'm sure I'd have to rebuild search indexes afterward...

-Eric

Re: Moving posts from one blog to another

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On 8/17/07, Glenn Nielsen <gl...@earthdome.org> wrote:
> I am also interested in the answer to this question.
> It would really be nice to have a way to do this within the roller admin interface.

I guess that would be a nice feature, but it is also somewhat
dangerous unless you do it right and doing it right is a bit of a
pain.

You wouldn't want to simple move the entries, because then the entry's
from the old URLs to the new ones.

- Dave

Re: Moving posts from one blog to another

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@earthdome.org>.
I am also interested in the answer to this question.

It would really be nice to have a way to do this within the roller
admin interface.

Glenn

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On 8/17/07, Eric Wittle <er...@wittle.net> wrote:
> I recently upgraded a roller install at work from roller 1.0 to 3.1.
> Now that group blogs/multiple blogs per user are supported, I'm
> curious about how difficult it would be to reorganize some of my
> older posts by moving them from one blog to another.

Hi Eric,

Nice to hear from you and to hear that you're still using Roller.

If you change the websiteid and fix the categoryid to point to one in
the new weblog, then you should be OK.

BUT... make sure you backup your database before you start mucking
around via SQL. Also, remember that pubtime and updatetime are
timestamps. MAKE SURE you include them in the update you will not
preserve their values. For example:

   update weblogentry set
      websiteid='NEWWEBSITEID',
      pubtime=pubtime,
      updatetime=updatetime,
   where websiteid='OLDWEBSITEID'

And the same sort of thing when you update the categoryid.

I speak from painful experience here ;-)

- Dave