Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Patai Sangbutsarakum <si...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/03 20:50:05 UTC

migrate cluster to different datacenter

Hi Hadoopers,

We have a plan to migrate Hadoop cluster to a different datacenter
where we can triple the size of the cluster.
Currently, our 0.20.2 cluster have around 1PB of data. We use only Java/Pig.

I would like to get some input how we gonna handle with transferring
1PB of data to a new site, and also keep up with
new files that thrown into cluster all the time.

Happy friday !!

Re: migrate cluster to different datacenter

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
The OP hasn't provided enough information to even start trying to make a real recommendation on how to solve this problem.

Posted by Nitin Kesarwani <bu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Harit Himanshu <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Angeles <pa...@gmail.com>.
It would help to know your data ingest and processing patterns (and any
applicable SLAs).

In most cases, you'd only need to move the raw ingested data, then you can
derive the rest in the other cluster. Assuming that you have some sort of
date-based partitioning on the ingest, then it's easy to define a cut-off
point.

Depending on your read SLAs, you could tee writes to both clusters for a
period of time, or just simply switch off to the new one once the majority
of data has been moved.

Finally, you would want to do a consistency check to make sure everything
made it to the other side... maybe run a checksum on derived data on both
clusters and compare. Something like that...

- P

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Patai Sangbutsarakum <

Posted by Patai Sangbutsarakum <si...@gmail.com>.
thanks for response.

Posted by Chen He <ai...@gmail.com>.