Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Talley, Brooks" <br...@frnk.com> on 2004/12/07 18:50:48 UTC

Recovering from crashed commit?

Last night, I went to commit about 300 new files to a repository.  This
morning, I discovered that the commit had failed; it was just sitting
there about 100-some-odd files into the process. These are all smallish
files (<10k), so it's not like it was still uploading.

I went ahead and killed the svn process, and did a cleanup on my working
directory.  However, now I'm in a state where if I try to do a commit,
it complains about some of the added files already existing in the
repository.  And if I do an update of my working copy, it complains
about some of the files that were added already existing in my working
copy.

Any ideas on how to recover from this?

Thanks
-Brooks

Re: Recovering from crashed commit?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Dec 7, 2004, at 12:50 PM, Talley, Brooks wrote:

> Last night, I went to commit about 300 new files to a repository.  This
> morning, I discovered that the commit had failed; it was just sitting
> there about 100-some-odd files into the process. These are all smallish
> files (<10k), so it's not like it was still uploading.
>
> I went ahead and killed the svn process, and did a cleanup on my
> working
> directory.  However, now I'm in a state where if I try to do a commit,
> it complains about some of the added files already existing in the
> repository.  And if I do an update of my working copy, it complains
> about some of the files that were added already existing in my working
> copy.
>
> Any ideas on how to recover from this?

This means the commit wholly succeeded in the repository, but your
working copy was never informed of the fact.  The solution is to
either:

   1. 'svn revert . -R' your working copy and remove all the resulting
unversioned files, so that 'svn up' can re-add them, or

   2. just checkout a new working copy.

Re: Recovering from crashed commit?

Posted by François Beausoleil <fb...@ftml.net>.

On 07/12/2004 13:50, Talley, Brooks wrote:
> Any ideas on how to recover from this?

Hmm, use svnadmin dump -r0:X where X is the last known valid revision.
Then, reload that into a new repository.

As to why this occured, I have no idea.  If you could preserve the
busted repository, I'm sure someone will be interested in that data.

Hope that helps,
François