Posted to dev@gora.apache.org by lewis john mcgibbney <le...@apache.org> on 2013/05/06 19:21:12 UTC

[REPORT] Apache Gora

Hi Board@,

The Apache Gora open source framework provides an in-memory data model and
persistence for big data. Gora supports persisting to column stores, key
value stores, document stores and RDBMSs, and analyzing the data with
extensive Apache Hadoop MapReduce support.

Project Releases

The Apache Gora team was happy to announce the release of Gora 0.2.1 on
7th August 2012. A release candidate for 0.3 was posted to the community
on the week beginning 29th May 2013.

Overall Project Activity since last report

Generally project activity has been fairly steady. We have been working
towards our 0.3 release with one issue (flagged upstream within Nutch)
posing quite a problem from a technical viewpoint. The 0.3 release
candidate was initially delayed with the intent of addressing this issue
however a decision was made to push the RC and address it in 0.4.
The user list has seen usual very low traffic. Our dev list has seen
236, 110 and 55 posts (so far) for the months March, April and May
respectively. We've recently seen some contributions and activity
from newer community members brought to Gora by Google Summer of Code
(GSoC).

We have had some interest (mainly streamed down from the Nutch community)
regarding improving Gora for specific use cases and generally.
user@gora has 33 subscribers
dev@gora has 54 subscribers
PMC members Renato and Lewis are preparing and presenting Gora at this
years Cassandra Summit in San Francisco in July. This is another attempt
to build Gora out more.
We have seen a number of students come forward and propose projects for
this
years GSoC. This is great news for Gora and we are optimistic about working
to make the Gora community better.

Changes to PMC & Committers

The Gora PMC were very pleased to invite and have Roland von Herget
join our ranks on Thu, 7th Mar 2013. Roland also joined the
Gora PMC.

PMC and Committer diversity

We currently have committers from a wide variety of Apache projects
including, Nutch, Tika, OODT, Camel, Solr, Accumulo, Whirr & Hadoop
(this is not an exhaustive list).