Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by netsql <ne...@roomity.com> on 2005/07/21 09:01:41 UTC

[ot NET] was: Re: ApacheCon 2005 SanDiego

Martin Cooper wrote:

> This isn't the place for a discussion of it, but I'm curious as to what
> is so compelling about the .NET world that developers are moving to it
> even in the absence of the tools they are familiar with from the Java
> world, and especially when they are then expending the effort to
> recreate those tools. Why not stick to Java-land?

<flame suit on>

PHB! They like .NET. Otherwise it's equivalent. (And I don't think much
of tools, I am not alone:
http://www.hacknot.info/hacknot/action/showEntry?eid=76 , I do not use
Visual Studio, yuck)
Rumor is that C# will be default for Gnome 3. Mono and GNU C# makes it
more "human" plus it's an ANSI standard. LongHorn is a lot like Linux in
the  security that's in compartments, IMO. If one uses Windows... it's a
default.

Some Java tech also has a bit of reputation in some circles (EJB?,
WebStart?, Cross-Platform/yeah right - try Swing on Mac; the non SQL
aproach to projects,  ...).  Even as SPARC loses it's performance myth,
and even stock at $3... it reflects on Java.
My latest stress is that Mustang JRE will be much bigger(and it's realy
hard to bend Sun's ear, but I did send an email to m reynolds there) and
it's becoming slowly less readable(anotations, parametizing, ...).
That's why I do Groovy too, to make it readable and less code. (google
does Python... and it's all the rage to mimic their aproach)

If Sun would move to remove deprecated( omg packages still in JRE, go
look) and simplify some things, (EJB 3 does not return collections,
maybe V4 will) it would  help some technical argument , but it just
seems that Sun have to much middle managment to not do design by
comitte, so everyone gets their "feature" in at expense of elegance.
(Struts and CoR are major simplifications; that is what sucess is imo)

(another ex?: DataSource in JDNC is realy sad ... they realy need to
visit w/ developers that put things in production. MS listens to
developers, that is their reputation. MS deprecated datasource as such
in C#v2! )

I hope the best from Harmony, it's hard to do O/S w/o user input.

.V