Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> on 2006/03/31 20:28:07 UTC

Action 1 consolidation testing (was Towards a stable 1.3 release)

Wendy Smoak wrote:
> There were no objections to your proposed reorganization, so IMO the
> thing to do is try it and see what happens.  Preferably in the test
> repo. :)  We don't need history for this, so svn export/svn import
> should do it.  (https://svn.apache.org/repos/test)  If not, maybe Sean
> can help; he did the same thing for MyFaces before they switched to
> Maven 2.

Ok, you asked for it... :)  I put my first cut at https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/action1  I moved the subprojects
under action1, action as core, and adjusted the builds so that they all shared the same version.  I'm having trouble
getting the nightly to run, as it seems the default built isn't installing the snapshot jars correctly.  What am I
missing here?

> Minor issues:
>  * I think Struts EL and Taglib should stay in separate jars because
> you only need Struts EL in a Servlet 2.3 environment.  (Further, I
> thought there was some technical reason they could not be combined.)

Well, our sys requirement is servlet 2.3 now.  I haven't tried this yet, so there may be a technical reason it can't be
done.  Well, thinking about it, if both were part of action 1, and according to maven, each subproject can have only one
artifact, I guess we should leave them.

>  * Faces doesn't compile against the latest code.  It's complaining
> about RequestUtils.selectModule(...).  Right now, it depends on Struts
> 1.2.2.  Also, its
> Maven 1 build is not finished.  It's probably best to leave it separate for now.

No problem, I can fix this.  I've been going through the code as I might want to port something similar for Action 2.

> I can't take on the reorganization project, but I have time to help
> with the build if you need it.  I made some comments in the proposal
> thread about removing the svn:externals, etc.

Ok, I'll look that up again.  Thanks for the help,

Don

Re: Action 1 consolidation testing (was Towards a stable 1.3 release)

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
I'm using a stock download of 2.0.3.

Oh how I dream of finding the missing manual for Maven 2 command line
options :(

--
James Mitchell

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
That is probably what we would have done if we hadn't had to deal
with the {subproject}/build having to be svn:externals-ized into each
one.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 4/5/06, James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> wrote:

> Why 2.0.4?  Building from source?!? Jeez!  At least I'm not _that_
> bad ;)

Because 2.0.3 had some serious regressions, and it was just as easy to
grab the 2.0.4 release candidate as to go back to 2.0.2.  It's the
plugins I'm building from source, though, to get some new features
that I wanted.

> I'm more inclined to work on a Maven 2 build and just remove whatever
> is in our way (e.g. failing tests, bad reports due to incomplete
> plugins, etc) to get to a distributable release.
>
> What do you think?

If this involves adopting most of Maven 2's conventions, and
restructuring where necessary, then _absolutely_.  I think m2 can
handle the Struts build now, (with the possible exception of the
Cactus tests,) it's just not something I was ready to take on alone.

Just wait until you see 'mvn integration-test' work. :)

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
Before my changes, they fail for me on maven 1, when instrumented for
jcoverage (which is the case for the 'dist' target) and maven 2 when
run normally (mvn install).

Maven 1
-------

     [junit] Running org.apache.struts.action.TestActionRedirect
     [junit] Tests run: 5, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed:
0.033 sec
     [junit] Running org.apache.struts.action.TestActionMessage
     [junit] Tests run: 8, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed:
0.004 sec
     [junit] Running org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet
Missing type value for noTypeForm form bean
Missing type value for name form property
Unable to create an instance of
org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomFormBeanConfigArg
java.lang.InstantiationException:
org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomFormBeanConfigArg
         at org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.applicationInstance
(RequestUtils.java:163)
         at org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.applicationInstance
(RequestUtils.java:138)
         at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.processFormBeanConfigClass
(ActionServlet.java:1021)
         at
org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet.testProcessFormBeanConfigClas
sError(TestActionServlet.java:443)
(noise)
[junit] Tests run: 34, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.308 sec

Passes ok, however it fails when running the tests for the jcoverage
reports.

Maven 2
-------

[surefire] Running org.apache.struts.action.TestActionMessages
[surefire] Tests run: 8, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.012 sec
[surefire] Running org.apache.struts.action.TestActionRedirect
[surefire] Tests run: 5, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.022 sec
[surefire] Running org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet
Apr 5, 2006 3:38:51 PM org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet
handleValueRequiredException
SEVERE: Missing type value for noTypeForm form bean
Apr 5, 2006 3:38:51 PM org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet
handleValueRequiredException
SEVERE: Missing type value for name form property
Apr 5, 2006 3:38:51 PM org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet
handleCreationException
SEVERE: Unable to create an instance of
org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomFormBeanConfigArg
java.lang.InstantiationException:
org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomFormBeanConfigArg
         at org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.applicationInstance
(RequestUtils.java:163)
         at org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.applicationInstance
(RequestUtils.java:138)
         at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.processFormBeanConfigClass
(ActionServlet.java:1022)
         at
org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet.testProcessFormBeanConfigClas
sError(TestActionServlet.java:443)
(more noise)
         at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.mainWithExitCode
(Launcher.java:430)
[surefire] Tests run: 34, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.224
sec <<<<<<<< FAILURE !!
[surefire] Running org.apache.struts.action.TestDynaActionForm
[surefire] Tests run: 46, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.08 sec
[surefire] Running org.apache.struts.action.TestDynaActionFormClass
[surefire] Tests run: 7, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.009 sec

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
James Mitchell wrote:
> Funny you should mention this now.  About 10 minutes ago I (locally)
> commented the failing tests out (actually, I put 'no' in front of the
> failing testFoo methods, so it looks like 'notestFoo') so I could 'mvn
> eclipse:eclipse' core, taglib, and extras.
>
> I'm not sure why the output of the tests make Maven think that they
> failed, when, they actually did not and I know it's not an optimal
> solution, but I'd like to check that in so we can move on with our
> build.  We can work out the kinks later.

Weird, so your Maven thinks that the tests fail?  The tests pass for me, for the core module anyways.

> Also, I'm about to start another thread related to our build...it is
> (more or less) notes as I go through the various project.xml, pom.xml,
> etc, etc for each of the pieces of the action1 puzzle.

Ok, I'll hurry and move scripting into action then.  That should be the last action 1-related move.

Don

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

+----------------------------------------

[...]

java.lang.InstantiationException: org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomFormBeanConfigArg
[...]
Unable to create an instance of org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomExceptionConfigArg
java.lang.InstantiationException: org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomExceptionConfigArg
[...]
Unable to create an instance of org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomForwardConfigArg
java.lang.InstantiationException: org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomForwardConfigArg
[...]
Unable to create an instance of org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomActionConfigArg
java.lang.InstantiationException: org.apache.struts.action.TestActionServlet$CustomActionConfigArg

+----------------------------------------

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
.current is now .gone and so now I just need to fix the good one to
actually work correctly and we'll have our nightlies back.

--
James Mitchell

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
James Mitchell wrote:
> Once we iron out action1 directories, I'll get that back online, but I'd
> like to wait till the dust settles before I pick up incubator/action2
> nightly builds.

If you are referring to the webwork2 incubated code, the only question mark in my mind relating to the build is
Patrick's Maven 2 stuff.  The ant build works great and is very stable, however, I know Patrick is polishing up the
Maven 2 build and might want to do some splitting down the road to support multiple artifacts.

Don

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
The 'actual' shell script that gets run nightly via cron is not under
svn.  Since we run nightlies on our zone, it is merely a copy of the
one under svn and as changes come in, I review and then update my
copy.  It's probably an unnecessary level of security, but as long as
my name and ASF Account is on the cron job, I'll be keeping it that
way ;)

I'm still reviewing all the recent activity/changes and I do intend
to help keep the build up to date and as easy for new people to get
running as it is for someone whos been following this for years.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
To add to that, I'll update the website to reflect the changes as soon
as they are all done.  The only major one pending is the scripting move,
which I want to give a day or two to get any possible feedback.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 4/1/06, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:

> I don't think anything.  If you are happy with it, I can make the
> changes tomorrow.

The structure in the test repo looks fine to me.

> I'd like to get a test release for Struts Action by
> Sunday, even if it isn't a voted on one.  I'm aiming for a good Struts
> Action release by the end of the week.  How does that sound?

Wonderful. :)  I'll be around, but working on other things.  I'll keep
an eye on email; please let me know if you need help with anything.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Wendy Smoak wrote:
> Did you get what's in the test repo to build for you?  It ('maven
> nightly') works fine for me.

I wasn't able to get it working at work.  I'll try again tomorrow from
this computer.

>  * http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/action1
>
> What else needs to be done?

I don't think anything.  If you are happy with it, I can make the
changes tomorrow.  I haven't heard any complaints about moving Struts
Flow into the sandbox, so I'll probably do that too.  I have one other
proposal I'll get out there so we can be done with the
re-organizations.  I'd like to get a test release for Struts Action by

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/06, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:

> Oh, one other thing - what about tiles?  I noticed tiles has its own build now, so can I then assume it is standalone?

The Struts Tiles build is separate.  I did that when I changed the
groupId, in anticipation of this reorg.  However, struts-tiles still
depends on struts-core, so it is not 'standalone' in that sense.

> I'd imagine a GA release of action would require a GA release of tiles.

I deployed the Struts Tiles 1.3.0 test build to the Maven snapshot
repositories, and changed the Apps and EL builds to depend on that.
We'll need to vote on Struts Tiles 1.3.0 along with Struts Action
1.3.2, one can't go GA without the other.

I also changed action back to core, and fixed the build files so it
works.  The whole thing is Struts Action, that module is the core.
Makes sense to me, anyway...

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Ok, moving to struts-action.  I tried changing paths, but the jars still aren't installing themselves, making it so only
action will build.  I'll keep trying, but I have this suspicion that you could fix this in about 5 minutes when you get
home :)

Overall, I'm happy with the way it looks and should help clean up, in my opinion, our directory structure and make it
easier to grasp for users and new developers.

Oh, one other thing - what about tiles?  I noticed tiles has its own build now, so can I then assume it is standalone?
If so, how close are they to a GA release, since I'd imagine a GA release of action would require a GA release of tiles.

Don

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Wendy Smoak wrote:
> Is it going to be struts-core.jar, then?  It seems confusing to have a
> directory called 'core' build an artifact called 'struts-action'.

I suppose the directory could be called 'action', but it seems kinda silly to have 'action/trunk/action'.  'core' seems
to be what other projects like Cocoon, MyFaces, Shale, etc., are using, although in the first two cases, 'core' is top
level since they don't have the two framework split like we do.  I tried dropping the contents of core down to action/,
but then the common build files aren't right and it is more confusing.

I'm am kind of wondering if the other modules shouldn't be prefixed with 'struts-action', i.e. 'struts-action-extras'.
It seems long, but it would be more accurate.  The other option would be to dump 'struts' all together:
  - action-core.jar
  - action-extras.jar
  - action-taglibs.jar
  - action-apps.jar
  - action-faces.jar
  - action-el.jar

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

> Is it going to be struts-core.jar, then?  It seems confusing to have a
> directory called 'core' build an artifact called 'struts-action'.

{sees Don svn mv core/* ../ in r151397}

No, that's not what I meant.  I was only commenting on the name of the
directory, not its location.

It's fine to have (showing trunk, which isn't there now,)

   action1/trunk/action
   action1/trunk/taglib
   etc...

HTH,

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/06, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:

> Ok, you asked for it... :)  I put my first cut at https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/action1  I moved the subprojects under action1, action as core, and adjusted the builds so that they all shared the same version.

Oh, sure, do it now while I'm still at work and can't play. :)