Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by Nicholas Quaine <qu...@jpmorgan.com> on 2001/03/13 15:19:02 UTC

Re: wsdl file: microsoft only?

Apache server side does not require or use a wsdl file
You only need a wsdl file if you want to use the high level API of the MS Soap
Toolkit on the client side
The wsdl file will then serve as a method descriptor so that the soap toolkit
can encode your requests
If you use the low level API then you can call services on apache or any other
soap service without any wsdl file
Note though that the wsdl / high-level API may actually work better for you in
the case where you want simplicity on the client side

There are examples in the microsoft toolkit help on the low level API
A typical client looks something like the below
There are some traps to interoperability - see the archives for these as I have
already posted them many times

Nick

    Dim Serializer As SoapSerializer
    Dim Reader As SoapReader
    Dim ResultElm As IXMLDOMElement
    Dim FaultElm As IXMLDOMElement
    Dim Connector As SoapConnector

    Set Connector = New HttpConnector
    Connector.Property("EndPointURL") = END_POINT_URL
    Connector.Connect Nothing

    Connector.Property("SoapAction") = "uri:" & Method
    Connector.BeginMessage Nothing

    Set Serializer = New SoapSerializer
    Serializer.Init Connector.InputStream

    Serializer.startEnvelope
    Serializer.startBody
    Serializer.startElement Method, CALC_NS, , "m"
    Serializer.startElement "A"
    Serializer.writeString CStr(A)
    Serializer.endElement
    Serializer.startElement "B"
    Serializer.writeString CStr(B)
    Serializer.endElement
    Serializer.endElement
    Serializer.endBody
    Serializer.endEnvelope

    Connector.EndMessage

    Set Reader = New SoapReader
    Reader.Load Connector.OutputStream

    If Not Reader.Fault Is Nothing Then
        MsgBox Reader.faultstring.text, vbExclamation
    Else
        Execute = CDbl(Reader.RPCResult.text)
    End If

edk@interactiveportal.com on 03/13/2001 08:20:34 AM

Please respond to soap-dev@xml.apache.org

To:   soap-dev@xml.apache.org
cc:   (bcc: Nicholas Quaine)
Subject:  wsdl file:  microsoft only?

I was able to get my Apache soap server running fine and then went to get a
Microsoft soap client to talk to it.  But it looks like Microsoft requires
this "wsdl" file on the server.  Is this the case even if I am running
Apache on the server?  None of the Apache examples seem to require this file
(or the wsml file).  If I want a Microsoft soap client to talk to an Apache
soap server, do I *have* to have these files, or is there a way around it?
If someone has a vb example of a Microsoft client talking to an Apache
server (without using wsdl files), please send it to me.

Conversely, if I have a Microsoft soap server, and a Java (Apache) client,
how does that work?  How would my Apache client specify what wsdl file to
use?

Thanks,
Ed

do not necessarily reflect those of J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., its
subsidiaries and affiliates.