Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@apache.org> on 2005/03/12 19:45:38 UTC

How to properly use the Sandbox?

Dear all,

we have the sandbox section of the Lenya SVN repository.

If I want to experiment with plugins (as discussed) should I create a
full copy of the Lenya source tree in the sandbox? I am a bit concerned
with space. What other options do we have?

I guess having a staging area for this evolving stuff would be good or
do we want to start these experiments directly in trunk?

Regards,
Torsten

Re: How to properly use the Sandbox?

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@wyona.com>.
Michael Wechner said:

> you might want to do it similar as I do it with the jcrsitetree. I wrote
> a simple build which is copying it into the build/lenya/src of Lenya
> and one can do another ant within Lenya. It works pretty well, whereas
> one could
> certainly further improve it

for add-ons that is certainly fine. if you are refactoring the code, just
branch, as andreas said, its cheap in svn. also, the downside with the
model michi describes is that it does not lend itself to easy setup in
eclipse.

>> I guess having a staging area for this evolving stuff would be good or
>> do we want to start these experiments directly in trunk?
>

> If it's really "experimenting" then I think you should put it into the
> sandbox.
> I think 1.4 should never be broken just as 1.2 should never be broken.

+1 where possible

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
COO, Wyona       Content Management Solutions    http://wyona.com

Re: How to properly use the Sandbox?

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Torsten Schlabach wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> we have the sandbox section of the Lenya SVN repository.
>
> If I want to experiment with plugins (as discussed) should I create a
> full copy of the Lenya source tree in the sandbox? I am a bit
> concerned with space. What other options do we have?

you might want to do it similar as I do it with the jcrsitetree. I wrote
a simple build which is copying it into the build/lenya/src of Lenya
and one can do another ant within Lenya. It works pretty well, whereas
one could
certainly further improve it

> I guess having a staging area for this evolving stuff would be good or
> do we want to start these experiments directly in trunk?

If it's really "experimenting" then I think you should put it into the
sandbox.
I think 1.4 should never be broken just as 1.2 should never be broken.

Thanks

Michi

> Regards,
> Torsten

Michael Wechner

Re: How to properly use the Sandbox?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Torsten Schlabach wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> we have the sandbox section of the Lenya SVN repository.
>
> If I want to experiment with plugins (as discussed) should I create a
> full copy of the Lenya source tree in the sandbox?

> I am a bit concerned
> with space.

IIRC SVN makes only cheap copies, so space should not be an issue.

-- Andreas