Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Harri Pesonen <ha...@sinch.com> on 2023/04/18 11:43:44 UTC

java.lang.InternalError: Unexpected CryptoAPI failure generating seed

Hello, we have:

Tomcat/8.5.83
Windows Server 2016
java.version=11.0.12
java.vendor=Azul Systems, Inc.
sun.arch.data.model=64

Sometimes Tomcat fails to start our application because of this error:

06:45:58.230 ERR> (Catalina-startStop-1) (org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig#deployDescriptors) Error waiting for multi-thread deployment of deployment descriptors to complete
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.InternalError: Unexpected CryptoAPI failure generating seed
                             at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(FutureTask.java:122)
                             at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:191)
                             at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptors(HostConfig.java:594)
                             at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:472)
                             at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1610)
                             at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:318)
                             at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleBase.java:123)
                             at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.setStateInternal(LifecycleBase.java:423)
                             at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.setState(LifecycleBase.java:366)
                             at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.startInternal(ContainerBase.java:962)
                             at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.startInternal(StandardHost.java:833)
                             at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:183)
                             at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1427)
                             at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1417)
                             at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264)
                             at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
                             at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
Caused by: java.lang.InternalError: Unexpected CryptoAPI failure generating seed
                             at java.base/sun.security.provider.NativeSeedGenerator.getSeedBytes(NativeSeedGenerator.java:62)
                             at java.base/sun.security.provider.SeedGenerator.generateSeed(SeedGenerator.java:144)
                             at java.base/sun.security.provider.SecureRandom$SeederHolder.<clinit>(SecureRandom.java:204)
                             at java.base/sun.security.provider.SecureRandom.engineNextBytes(SecureRandom.java:222)
                             at java.base/java.security.SecureRandom.nextBytes(SecureRandom.java:751)
                             at java.base/java.security.SecureRandom.next(SecureRandom.java:808)
                             at java.base/java.util.Random.nextInt(Random.java:329)
                             at org.apache.catalina.util.SessionIdGeneratorBase.createSecureRandom(SessionIdGeneratorBase.java:290)
                             at org.apache.catalina.util.SessionIdGeneratorBase.getRandomBytes(SessionIdGeneratorBase.java:222)
                             at org.apache.catalina.util.StandardSessionIdGenerator.generateSessionId(StandardSessionIdGenerator.java:34)
                             at org.apache.catalina.util.SessionIdGeneratorBase.generateSessionId(SessionIdGeneratorBase.java:214)
                             at org.apache.catalina.util.SessionIdGeneratorBase.startInternal(SessionIdGeneratorBase.java:310)
                             at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:183)
                             at org.apache.catalina.session.ManagerBase.startInternal(ManagerBase.java:670)
                             at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager.startInternal(StandardManager.java:352)
                             at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:183)
                             at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5250)
                             at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:183)
                             at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:753)
                             at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:727)
                             at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:695)
                             at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:673)
                             at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDescriptor.run(HostConfig.java:1881)
                             at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515)
                             ... 4 more

I googled and Java is calling Windows function and it fails.
There seems to be no fix for this problem.
Does anyone have any idea what is happening, and how to workaround?

-Harri

RE: java.lang.InternalError: Unexpected CryptoAPI failure generating seed

Posted by Harri Pesonen <ha...@sinch.com>.
Thanks.
This has quite good explanation of the issue:
https://www.baeldung.com/java-security-egd

It seems that there is no easy workaround for this in Windows at least.
Problem is with entropy, the native Windows random number generator does not always have enough randomness available.
I think that JDK should catch this error and have some fallback mechanism to generate random seed from process ID, UTC time and ticks, for example.

-Harri

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Thomas,

On 4/21/23 15:04, Thomas Worster wrote:
> That document is mostly about a corrupted install in Weblogic, but after
> that, it suggests making sure you are using the urandom (non-blocking)
> random number generator.

This is Tomcat's Standard(Session)Manager generating a session
identifier. It should be using a "fast" PRNG and not the
potentially-slow one. Specifically, it uses SHA1PRNG by default.

There was a recent change to specifically request the SecureRandom seed
before handing control over to the application, but I believe that is
unrelated to the problem being experienced, here.

> If you're using the blocking RNG, it would explain why the issue is
> not easily repeatable.
>
> -Djava.security.egd=file:/dev/./urandom

This hasn't been required since like Java 1.7. Also, Tomcat's code uses
alternate configuration mechanisms and the value of java.security.egd
should not affect it.

> I can't recall if the format of that string is the same in Windows, but it
> should be similar.

It doesn't matter.

-chris

Posted by Thomas Worster <th...@worster.net>.