Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Fush <ri...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/17 16:05:49 UTC

Error handling policy for delaying message consumption?

I have a Camel route that listens for messages on an ActiveMQ queue. If the
processing of one of the messages from this queue failes, the routing should
not consume any more messages from the same queue for a given time.

The case is that the processing of a message involves calling remote
services, and if an exception indicating that a remote service is down,
there is no point in trying again immediately with any other message either.
So the entire route should block for a while. Now, I can't seem to find any
predefined pattern for this. Am I right assuming that it doesn't exist? Does
anyone here have a suggestion for a custom error handler for this?

Re: Error handling policy for delaying message consumption?

Posted by Fush <ri...@gmail.com>.
OK, thanks for the answer Claus. Sounds good. But I've ran into some strange
problems on the way, which I've made a separat post about. If you could have
a look at that (and anyone else who's interested and has suggestions of
course!), I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Re: Error handling policy for delaying message consumption?

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

If you are using transacted messaging, ie message will rollback to ActiveMQ?

If so then you could *just* use ActiveMQ support for setting delays
when it performs redelivery.
So if you just configure ActiveMQ to use delay then any message
consumed from ActiveMQ will have delay.

/Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer
Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/