Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Nathan McGarvey <na...@gmail.com> on 2021/09/27 17:15:35 UTC

Slow VirtualRouter/NAT (25MB/s)

All,
    Has anyone had issues with throughput on a NATed topology being
limited to almost exactly 25MB/s? (ACS 4.15.0.0 on KVM RHEL/CentOS 8.X)

E.g.
VM on hypervisor -> Virtual Router NAT -> public

I get 25MB/s when doing a /dev/shm/ file copy to a /dev/null over SCP on
a 1G network. (E.g. scp /dev/shm/bigfile publichost:/dev/null)

It isn't CPU pegged, and operates the same among VMs with different
resources (RAM/CPU) available.

The same copy from the underlying hypervisor is 112MB/s (which is fairly
ideal/normal on an unloaded 1G network.)

The same copy from the systemvm itself is also significantly slower
(40MB/s or less)

The compute offerings have no known bandwidth restrictions.

Just wondering if folks actually have achieved gigabit (or preferably
more for supporting 10G throughput.) speed from a NATed VM.

Thanks,
-Nathan McGarvey

Re: Slow VirtualRouter/NAT (25MB/s)

Posted by Nathan McGarvey <na...@gmail.com>.
Wei and Alex,
    Thanks. That was it. I had overlooked that setting and wasn't using
the word "throttle/throttling" in my searching. Additionally, I had
misinterpreted the value of NULL in the service offerings: I though
blank/NULL meant infinity instead of 0 meaning infinity. (NULL means use
the global setting parameter.)

    Here's the default global settings should someone find this thread
in the future and just want to change the default for everything instead
of creating new Network Offerings:

    network.throttling.rate (for applying to the network offerings)
    vm.network.throttling.rate (for applying to the service offerings)

    Note that I had to fully stop, then start a guest VM or recreate a
the virtual router for the global settings to take effect.

Thanks,
-Nathan McGarvey

Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nathan,