Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ines Robbers <ml...@comprehend.de> on 2003/03/27 10:13:13 UTC

Cocoon & Skins

Hello!

I've downloaded Forrest and read the documentation but some things are
still not clear to me:

Cocoon and Tomcat are already installed on my computer and I want to use
Forrest with it.
I "seeded" a new website which worked fine but how exactly does Forrest
work "in" or "with" Cocoon?
I didn't start Tomcat/Cocoon and Forrest works anyway. There doesn't
seem to be any connection between them.
Do I have to copy Forrest-files into Cocoon maybe or do I have to seed
my new project into the Cocoon folder?

Another thing I don't understand is how to apply one's own skin. Where
do I place a modified copy of the forrest-site skin?
Somewhere in my xml-forrest folder or somewhere in the new project's
folder - and there, do I put it into the build folder or in src?

I'd appreciate your help very much!!
Thanks!

Ines

AW: Cocoon & Skins

Posted by Ines Robbers <ml...@comprehend.de>.
Dear Jeff,

Thanks for your help!

* Just add the bin/ directory to your path and type 'forrest'
* to generate static HTML/PDF.

I'm a bit confused now about the bin/
I created a folder, say myproject/ under C:, and then typed in:

C:\myproject\forrest seed to create the template structure
Then I typed forrest to get the HTML/PDF

Is that wrong? What is the bin/ needed for?

* Put it in src/documentation/skins/<skin name>, and then
* define 'project.skin=<skin name>' in your forrest.properties.
*  See http://xml.apache.org/forrest/your-project.html#new_skin

Do I do that in the xml-forrest folder or in myproject folder?

Ines

Re: Cocoon & Skins

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 10:13:13AM +0100, Ines Robbers wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've downloaded Forrest and read the documentation but some things are
> still not clear to me:
>
> Cocoon and Tomcat are already installed on my computer and I want to use
> Forrest with it.
> I "seeded" a new website which worked fine but how exactly does Forrest
> work "in" or "with" Cocoon?

Forrest is effectively a Cocooon distribution.  It includes its own copy
of Cocoon.

> I didn't start Tomcat/Cocoon and Forrest works anyway. There doesn't
> seem to be any connection between them.

Correct.

> Do I have to copy Forrest-files into Cocoon maybe or do I have to seed
> my new project into the Cocoon folder?

Just add the bin/ directory to your path and type 'forrest' to generate
static HTML/PDF.

> Another thing I don't understand is how to apply one's own skin. Where
> do I place a modified copy of the forrest-site skin?
> Somewhere in my xml-forrest folder or somewhere in the new project's
> folder - and there, do I put it into the build folder or in src?

Put it in src/documentation/skins/<skin name>, and then define
'project.skin=<skin name>' in your forrest.properties.  See
http://xml.apache.org/forrest/your-project.html#new_skin

--Jeff