Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Jaspaljeet Singh <ja...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/29 02:24:29 UTC

Create extendable system with OpenSocial

Hi There,

I am currently working on a web-based system which is extendable, i.e.
enable developers to add content/applications/services to it. I am still
deciding on the platform/technology I should use to implement this system.
Is OpenSocial suitable for this?

I will be very grateful if you could share some ideas/tips to develop such
system. Do I need to develop a OpenSocial container?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,
Jaggie

Re: Create extendable system with OpenSocial

Posted by Andy B Smith <an...@us.ibm.com>.
Agree that this is a pretty broad scope.  You can take a look at some of
the work that has been done to extend existing social apis or adding a new
service.

The CMIS example that Kris referred to provides an Guice binding for Media
Items and Albums that connects to a backend CMIS repository.  This can be
found in:  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/shindig/sandbox/trunk/ .

You can also take a look in the extras project
(http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/shindig/trunk/extras/) to see examples of
how to extend Shindig.  The ActivityStreams service is a good place to
start for extending social apis to support new capabilities.  There are
also other examples there as well that show how you can add new features in
the client from a container and gadget perspective.

Do you have specific use case that you're trying to solve?
   Andy B Smith  (andybs@us.ibm.com)
   Emerging Standards , IBM Software Group
   (919) 486-1121  T/L 526-1121

  From:       Kris Vishwanathan/Fairfax/IBM@IBMUS

  To:         dev@shindig.apache.org

  Cc:         dev@shindig.apache.org

  Date:       11/28/2010 10:16 PM

  Subject:    Re: Create extendable system with OpenSocial

Extendable Content/Applications and Services is a very broad scope.
Especially for content I am not sure if Open Social has anything in
particular, except I saw some efforts in aligning CMIS Folders and
Documents with OpenSocial Media Items and Albums. We are evaluating
OpenSocial container for just extendable services, pluggable REST services,
JavaScript Extensions etc. Apache Shindig has a clean architecture for
plugging new services based on Guice on the server side and Features for
client side. Again depending on the requirements you can build on existing
implementations.

Thanks and regards

Kris Vishwanathan, PMP
IBM Certified IT Architect
The Open Group Master Certified IT Architect
IBM Software Group, WPLC
Ph: 919 543 1081 (T/L: 441-1081)
Ph; 877-316-0046 (T/L: 349-4847)
Cell: 919 830 2890

If I had one hour to save the world I would spend fifty-five minutes
defining the problem and only five minutes finding the solution - Albert
Einstein

  From:       Jaspaljeet Singh <ja...@gmail.com>

  To:         dev@shindig.apache.org