Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pfingstl Gernot <ge...@stmk.gv.at> on 2003/12/10 23:45:57 UTC

GlobalNamingResources

If I define a resource in <GlobalNamingResources> (in server.xml) I can use this resource in my web-application only if I use <ResourceLink> in my context. So it seems to me it isn't possible to use a resource defined in <GlobalNamingResources> unless I permit the use with a <ResourceLink> in the context or the engine.

Is this right??

Because I didn't find a sentence about this in the tomcat docs!

Is this behaviour specified somewhere or is it subject to change?

This behavoiur is important to me, becaue I will explicitely permit (or deny) the access to a global resource per context. Its a security problem.

Thanks
Gernot

Re: GlobalNamingResources

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@jboss.org>.
Pfingstl Gernot wrote:
> If I define a resource in <GlobalNamingResources> (in server.xml) I
> can use this resource in my web-application only if I use
> <ResourceLink> in my context. So it seems to me it isn't possible to
> use a resource defined in <GlobalNamingResources> unless I permit the
> use with a <ResourceLink> in the context or the engine.
>
> Is this right??

Indeed. You can add the ResourceLink in a DefaultContext with 5.0, for
convinience, if, for example, you want to allow it in a whole virtual
host. I don't remember if I ported the feature and if it's also in 4.1.29.

> Is this behaviour specified somewhere or is it subject to change?

No, it's not subject to a change. I think it's implied: nowhere it is
written that global resources define stuff in the webapp naming contexts.

> This behavoiur is important to me, becaue I will explicitely permit
> (or deny) the access to a global resource per context. Its a security
> problem.

That's the reason behind the ResourceLink.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat