Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Kev Jackson <ke...@it.fts-vn.com> on 2006/01/10 08:46:20 UTC

OT (slightly) Rake + SwitchTower

I'm currently exploring SwitchTower[1] to see how far I'd be able to use
it on a server-side java web app (Spring + Hibernate etc) project.  Ant
has everything that I would need to build an Ant version of a
SwitchTower recipe (at least I think it does), but I wondered if anyone
has an example build file for automatically deploying an app to [a]
remote server[s]

Check out latest code from SVN/CVS
Compile (plus do hbm.xml generation etc)
WAR
(this is what I always do and never go beyond it to fully deploy the
application)

ssh remote server
stop current version
scp new WAR over to remote server
start remote server
run tests[2]

plus rollback to last working version if any tests fail

All these seem very possible with Ant (although a fair bit of work and
I'm used to manual deployment - but I'll concede that it'd be
wiser/better to automate it, hence my investigation)

I seem to remember something about SmartFrog (Steve are you there?)
being more about this problem domain (managing multiple servers during
deployment etc)

Thoughts?

Kev

PS if you have to do any web app development on any platform, Watir[2]
is the simplest web test (functional) tool I've seen

[1]http://manuals.rubyonrails.com/read/book/17
[2]http://wtr.rubyforge.org/

Re: OT (slightly) Rake + SwitchTower

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Kev Jackson wrote:
> I'm currently exploring SwitchTower[1] to see how far I'd be able to use
> it on a server-side java web app (Spring + Hibernate etc) project.  Ant
> has everything that I would need to build an Ant version of a
> SwitchTower recipe (at least I think it does), but I wondered if anyone
> has an example build file for automatically deploying an app to [a]
> remote server[s]
>
> Check out latest code from SVN/CVS
> Compile (plus do hbm.xml generation etc)
> WAR
> (this is what I always do and never go beyond it to fully deploy the
> application)
>
> ssh remote server
> stop current version
> scp new WAR over to remote server
> start remote server
> run tests[2]
>
> plus rollback to last working version if any tests fail
>
> All these seem very possible with Ant (although a fair bit of work and
> I'm used to manual deployment - but I'll concede that it'd be
> wiser/better to automate it, hence my investigation)

If its all local, then look at Cargo for a set of ant tasks to start and
stop the server. (its on codehaus somewhere)

If its remote, then Ant itself isnt geared up to work with remote file
systems and the like. You can run Ant at the far end and have it do the
work, using sshexec to run the build file you have just uploaded. It is
doable, but gets complex fast, and is a dog to debug. Its easiest if the
local/remote system share a file system and their clocks are in sync. If
you run a risk of the clocks being out of sync, turn off all dependency
logic in things like <copy> else you wont be able to update stuff properly.

> I seem to remember something about SmartFrog (Steve are you there?)
> being more about this problem domain (managing multiple servers during
> deployment etc)

That's right. There are two main problems with deployment (ignoring
security and getting the stuff up there in the first plae)

-configuration : configuring all the bits to work together, so the
database server has the right db and accounts for the app, the firewall
has its ports open, the app server is listening on the right port, the
webapp knows the port+login for the DB, etc.

-choreography: bringing up the bits of the system in the right order,
shutting them down properly afterwards.

Smartfrog (http://smartfrog.org) tries to address both problems,
securely. I'm actually working in my spare work time to do a cargo
component, so that I can use cargo for basic start/stop/configure of the
different app servers out there; smartfrog can handle the other bits
like database, webapp itself, etc. I'm also exploring remote junit,
treating junit itself as just something else to deploy on a set of
remote boxes, collecting the reports elsewhere.

I'm going to warn you, automated deployment is not an easy thing to get
right. SmartFrog's language for describing configurations to deploy is
powerful, but like all OO-languages, complex, and the whole process of
automating deployment from the command line/gui/ant is tricky. I would
encourage you to come to the site, get the latest release and ask
questions on our mailing list, we will do our best to help you.

Multiple servers comes easily once you have done one server, really. The
hard part is changing how you deploy. I actually write
deployment-centric code, stuff that is designed from the outset to be
deployed and configured by smartfrog. It's a bit like how JBoss and
Geronimo are built on JMX underneath; if you put management/deployment
into the base architecture then its easier to manage and deploy.

-Steve
-steve