Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2006/03/17 12:00:34 UTC

Re: [validator] Comments on Validator 1.2.1 based on RC2

--- Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > - Issue tracking page - link to create a new bug
> sets an invalid version
>
> I tried it an it sets a version of "unspecified" -
> thats a valid
> version and IMO is the correct thing to do. Tells us
> that the user just took the default.
My expectation was that it would highlight v1.3 as
that is the version the bug is reported against, but
its not something I'm blocking on.

> > - Left navigation javadoc link should point at
> api-release
>
> The docs are distributed locally - so in a released
> distro this will
> point to the local "released" copy. When browsing
> online the latest.
> I'll add a new "javadocs" menu with the released
> versions clearly marked.
I would have kept the SVN latest docs in the
development menu (as it should only be used by
advanced 'developer' users). Also, I would have named
it Javadocs not JavaDocs as it looks nicer :-) Hardly
release breakers though.

> > - Left navigation svn javadoc link should be
> relative to avoid external link
>
> I want it to not be relative - that way the link in
> the local copy
> distributed with the distro will work and not be
> "broken".
I don't think this is correct, as the apidocs folder
is in the release. Unless you want to actually connect
to the true latest docs, in which case the http link
is needed.

Stephen

Re: [validator] Comments on Validator 1.2.1 based on RC2

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 3/17/06, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> --- Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > - Issue tracking page - link to create a new bug
> > sets an invalid version
> >
> > I tried it an it sets a version of "unspecified" -
> > thats a valid
> > version and IMO is the correct thing to do. Tells us
> > that the user just took the default.
> My expectation was that it would highlight v1.3 as
> that is the version the bug is reported against, but
> its not something I'm blocking on.

I don't think we can assume this is the case. In Struts we currently
have 5 "GA" releases and we still get questions on all of them
(notmuch on 1.0, but it still happens) and we have different versions
of Validator out being used in those Struts versions. At this point
its more likely someone will be using Validator 1.1.3, 1.1.4 or 1.2.0.
Until a "GA" quality release of Struts with Validator 1.3.0 happens I
think it is likely to remain so.

> > > - Left navigation javadoc link should point at
> > api-release
> >
> > The docs are distributed locally - so in a released
> > distro this will
> > point to the local "released" copy. When browsing
> > online the latest.
> > I'll add a new "javadocs" menu with the released
> > versions clearly marked.
> I would have kept the SVN latest docs in the
> development menu (as it should only be used by
> advanced 'developer' users). Also, I would have named
> it Javadocs not JavaDocs as it looks nicer :-) Hardly
> release breakers though.

OK I'll change Javadoc to JavaDoc. Not worth a new RC though.

> > > - Left navigation svn javadoc link should be
> > relative to avoid external link
> >
> > I want it to not be relative - that way the link in
> > the local copy
> > distributed with the distro will work and not be
> > "broken".
> I don't think this is correct, as the apidocs folder
> is in the release. Unless you want to actually connect
> to the true latest docs, in which case the http link
> is needed.

Yes I want them to point to the true latest docs.

Niall