Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2009/11/13 13:15:29 UTC

Zero Config

On Nov 13, 2009, at 06:39 , Igor Galić wrote:

> It's been a long time now, but I still remember Rich asking for a
> Apache httpd starting *without* a config.
> I'm not sure this is easily doable, but I'm pretty confident that
> we can slim down the basic config (httpd.conf) to a very minimalistic
> level and put all the fluff in extra

Of course it's doable. Easily? I don't know. But certainly doable. You
define and document default values for everything, and then config
directives are only ever needed when things differ from the default.
Lots of products do this.

The default for LoadModule could be that you load all modules in
HTTPD_ROOT/modules unless there are LoadModule directives specifying
otherwise. We could (and should) protect <Directory /> by default, and
allow access to HTTPD_ROOT/htdocs by default. And so on. Much of the
stuff that's in those configs you referenced can already be omitted
and fall back to default values.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com

Re: Zero Config

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Nov 13, 2009, at 07:20 , Mark Watts wrote:

> +1, and can we _please_ default RewriteEngine to "on".

+1

Yes, that would be very nice. If I have a RewriteRule, don'tcha think
I want it to run?

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com

Re: Zero Config

Posted by Mark Watts <m....@eris.qinetiq.com>.
On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 07:15 -0500, Rich Bowen wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2009, at 06:39 , Igor Galić wrote:
>

> > It's been a long time now, but I still remember Rich asking for a
> > Apache httpd starting *without* a config.
> > I'm not sure this is easily doable, but I'm pretty confident that
> > we can slim down the basic config (httpd.conf) to a very minimalistic
> > level and put all the fluff in extra
>
> Of course it's doable. Easily? I don't know. But certainly doable. You
> define and document default values for everything, and then config
> directives are only ever needed when things differ from the default.
> Lots of products do this.
>
> The default for LoadModule could be that you load all modules in
> HTTPD_ROOT/modules unless there are LoadModule directives specifying
> otherwise. We could (and should) protect <Directory /> by default, and
> allow access to HTTPD_ROOT/htdocs by default. And so on. Much of the
> stuff that's in those configs you referenced can already be omitted
> and fall back to default values.

+1, and can we _please_ default RewriteEngine to "on".

Mark.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
Senior Systems Engineer, Managed Services Manpower