Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Francesco Pasqualini <f....@cpsinformatica.it> on 2000/07/02 11:09:00 UTC

Apache 2 opportunity

I think in the current version of modperl there is an important feature
missing.
At this time is not possible to share resources between apache childs and so
we can not use "really" persistent DBI coneection.
What I intend is the possibility to store a DBI connection in the $Session
hash (Apache::ASP or Apache::Session).
In this way we can start a DB connection for each user session and we can
have different application upon differnet DB.
The connection is started when the user session start, is maintenied in
memory (in the apache main process ?),it is visible to the apache childs
(threads) and is destroied at session end.

With the efforts (syntax tree sharing between threads) necessary to port
modperl to apache 2, will be  possible to implement such a feature ?

Thanks
Francesco Pasqualini

Re: Apache 2 opportunity

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.
On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Francesco Pasqualini wrote:

> I think in the current version of modperl there is an important feature
> missing.
> At this time is not possible to share resources between apache childs and so
> we can not use "really" persistent DBI coneection.
> What I intend is the possibility to store a DBI connection in the $Session
> hash (Apache::ASP or Apache::Session).
> In this way we can start a DB connection for each user session and we can
> have different application upon differnet DB.
> The connection is started when the user session start, is maintenied in
> memory (in the apache main process ?),it is visible to the apache childs
> (threads) and is destroied at session end.
>
> With the efforts (syntax tree sharing between threads) necessary to port
> modperl to apache 2, will be  possible to implement such a feature ?

it will be possible to share db connections between threads.  but 2.0 is
hybrid, there are still multiple processes, you cannot share db
connections between them, without something like DBD::Proxy.