Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Krishna Sankar <ks...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/27 17:51:42 UTC

Google SoC

Folks,
	As many of you might have seen, the Google SoC 2010 is approaching[1]. Would it be a good idea to start collecting a few ideas and  explore SoC possibilities ?
<k/>
[1] http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-discuss/browse_thread/thread/d839c0b02ac15b3f

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@holsman.net>.
I've done it before, with some good results. (and some bad ones too)

The mentors willing to help is a big one... a student will probably soak up 3-4 hours a week in the first weeks as they get their feet wet. most of mine just pinged me directly until they got the message to ping the mailing list ;-0.
open source development is dramatically different than the assignments they do @college and it takes a bit of getting used to for them.

The projects should be smallish in nature.. they have 3 months or something to complete it, and most of them don't work full time on it.
so if you think it would take yourself a month to do, it would be suitable for them to do in 3.

and also you want a clearly defined deliverable at the end of it.

as for an idea. I think a complex example using cassandra as a back end would be useful, so that others can take that project and see how to do things.

--
Ian Holsman
Ian@Holsman.net

Re: Google SoC