Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Michał Walenia <mi...@polidea.com> on 2020/01/13 10:45:06 UTC

Jenkins job execution policy

Hi,
I wanted to decouple the conversation about solutions to the issue from job
execution requests.
We have 131 open PRs right now and 64 committers with job running
privileges. From what I counted, more than 80 of those PRs are not authored
by committers.
I think that having committers answer testing and retesting requests is a
temporary solution and a permanent one should be decided upon soon. While
it's an inconvenience for contributors familiar with the workings of the
project and the community, newcomers might be put off by the fact that the
tests don't run automatically on their pull requests (this is an industry
standard which IMO should be upheld also in Beam). The barrier of finding
one of committers who is active and willing to trigger their tests can make
the entry to the project more difficult.

I believe that the solution proposed by Kenneth in the Jira thread
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-19670 is viable. The questions
are: do we want to implement this idea and what needs to be done to do it?

Regards
Michał

--

Michał Walenia