Posted to user@jspwiki.apache.org by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/09 20:55:11 UTC

Re: Configuring a public JSPWiki instance for private use

Hi again,

couple of things I'd like to point out on this thread (*always* IMHO)

- What is JSPWiki for? Which users should JSPWiki target? should it compete
on the CMS market?
For the latter question, IMO well, no; same as any other wiki out there.
Yes, you can use a wiki to build simple sites (one html layout, something
like, f.ex., jspwiki.apache.org), and (obviously) you can build wiki-based
sites, but that use differs from a CMS. F.ex, CMSs often offer the
capability to track returning users, to offer them personalized content.
Should JSPWiki (or any other wiki) focus on doing that? That shouldn't be a
core functionality for a Wiki, but it's pretty important for a CMS.

As for the initial questions, JSPWiki should be as simple as you want it to
be. You can use it as a personal notepad or you can use it as a corporate
wiki, or something in-between. You may need no customization at all, or you
may need to set up container auth, or any other thing you may need to. This
reflects not only on the installation options -JSPWiki as a
self-executable, as a .war file, as docker container-, but throughout the
code; and also when referred to, on the "Getting Started" page, when it
states "JSPWiki is a simple (well, not any more) WikiWiki clone" (In fact,
I'm thinking on changing that phrase to "JSPWiki is a WikiWiki clone, which
is as simple as you need it to be").

Along the lines of the previous point, the current ACL model starts at no
access control at all and goes up to being as complex (="infinite
combinations" else-thread) as you need it to be. As it allows a lot of
flexibility, is no wonder that
https://jspwiki-wiki.apache.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Wiki.Admin.Security is long,
but it is complicated to make it shorter. I see that page more as a
reference guide: I don't remember how to enable all the ACL aspects, so
when I want to see how to set up something I go to the appropiate section
there and read what needs to be done.

Furthermore, when it doesn't meet your needs, then you can code your own
extension and replace the default behaviour pretty easily. Most probably,
the "middle ground product" sense mentioned is because, it allows a lot of
flexibility, but doesn't have many alternatives to the defaults, f.ex., you
can easily switch your page provider, but how many alternatives do we have
for it now? If most of the time the answer to this question is "go ahead
and code it", is easy to think on a middle ground. Sum to that we're all
coding on free time, so features come out slow, so that sense probably
increases.

Given all these, where should JSPWiki head, in a general terms? IMO, two
directions: making it simple to use while keeping its flexibility and
enabling more alternatives to current defaults. As the current pace is
slow, it'll take time to wore off the middle-ground sense, but I hope it to
get smaller with every release..

WDYT?

best regards,
juan pablo

Posted by Jürgen Weber <ju...@jwi.de>.
Well, take your mobile phone in portrait mode, head over to
jspwiki.apache.org, try to find the FAQ page, or try to edit a page ..

The world goes mobile, so JSPWiki should be usable for mobile users, too.

cheers,
Jürgen