Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Stuart Walton <st...@hotmail.co.uk> on 2020/03/08 13:52:49 UTC

Microsoft payment demand

Since I updated the version of Windows 10 I was using on my PC, I find I am no longer able to access my Open Office .odt douments without getting a big dialog box from Microsoft demanding payment. None of my files is saved in Word, but it won’t let me access them even so. I have saved everything on to a USB device, but it won’t let me access them there either. I tried copying the existing files into new .odt files and it won’t let me do that either.

How come Microsoft is taking over an entirely separate free word-processing system? And is there anything I can do to get around it without paying Microsoft for their system, which I don’t want?

Re: Microsoft payment demand

Posted by jh...@aol.com.INVALID.
I tend to agree.  I am having problems with this program that has been continuously updated from the original purchase of several years ago.  It mused to be a very good and workable program.  I am considering looking elsewhere for a replacement.  Most venders are in business to SDELL new programs without servicing them as time goes along!

Posted by Andrew Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
Microsoft word is probably associated with OpenOffice documents so when he double clicked on one the automatic association probably tried to load a Microsoft product.

It is a simple matter to reassociate the file types. I'm not a strong Windows user so I won't even try to provide instruction on how to do that, but a quick Google search and show you how to reassociate the file types.

Also, you should be able to manually load your word processor and then use file open to open the document

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​

Posted by Wade Smart <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sun, 8 Mar 2020 14:54:51 +0000
Stuart Walton <st...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Thanks, guys. I appear to have solved it by simply downloading Open Office again. My documents have now reverted to normal editable format.
>
> SW

That will have reset your File Attribute settings to point to OpenOffice.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Microsoft payment demand

Posted by Stuart Walton <st...@hotmail.co.uk>.