Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org> on 2015/08/31 22:26:59 UTC

Download link - changing from closer.cgi to closer.lua

When I went to Infra's hipchat channel and brought up a general problem
with closer.cgi that a user mentioned on the #solr IRC channel, they
told me that closer.cgi is going awayand being replaced with
closer.luainstead.  This is in response to a new DDOS attack that
apparently happened today.  Infra has not made any kind of general
announcement, but they did request that I update our websites.

Infra appears to be making closer.cgi less precise than closer.lua as a
way to encourage switching.  Compare what happens with the two following
links:

http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/java/5.3.0
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/lucene/java/5.3.0

The mirrors on the cgi version do not point right at the specific
release like they used to, and the lua version does.

I'm willing to change all the links we have in our CMS trunk and publish
it, just want to make sure that's really OK.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Download link - changing from closer.cgi to closer.lua

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 8/31/2015 2:46 PM, Steve Rowe wrote:
> For me the closer.cgi links bring up the text of a download script
> instead of an HTML page with download links.  I don't think we have a
> choice - we need to upgrade ASAP. - Steve
>
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 4:26 PM, Shawn Heisey <apache@elyograg.org
> <ma...@elyograg.org>>wrote:
>
>     When I went to Infra's hipchat channel and brought up a general
>     problem
>     with closer.cgi that a user mentioned on the #solr IRC channel, they
>     told me that closer.cgi is going awayand being replaced with
>     closer.lua instead.

Website updated.  Browser caching appears to be something of a problem,
at least for the Solr download link where it lands on the temporary page
which browsers tend to cache, and which actually contains the
"closer.xxx" URL.  Hopefully that page is set to a relatively short
browser cache timeout.

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.