Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/19 17:00:47 UTC

[io] File Listener/Monitor

In JDK 1.7 the new NIO2 changes include a new "Watch Service" which is
hooked into the underlying operating system's events (where possible):

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/essential/io/notification.html

I added some File Listener/Monitor stuff added a year or so ago, but
it hasn't yet been released as part of Commons IO:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IO-132
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/io/trunk/src/java/org/apache/commons/io/monitor/

In light of whats going to be coming in the JDK I'm think we should
remove what we have atm in Commons IO. Anyone have any
objections/thoughts to me doing this?

Niall

Re: [io] File Listener/Monitor

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Michael Wooten<mw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What version of Java will IO 2.0 be targeting? As I understand it, the next
> version will target Java 5 compatibility, in which case the file monitoring
> functionality may be beneficial to users who will not be transitioning to
> Java 7 soon. I personally think this would be great functionality and would
> like to see it retained/included.

I take your point but I'd rather not add something to IO that will be
superseded by standard java API in 6 months.

Niall

Re: [io] File Listener/Monitor

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
There already is commons-jci-fam.

Given these two facts I am not sure it makes sense to include in IO 2.0.

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: [io] File Listener/Monitor